Saturday, April 26, 2008

Aprons

I was looking through my new book. There are some of the prettiest aprons in there. It really is a great book. Now, I haven't read all of it -- it's gonna take a while to get through it. As I was telling MaryJane, to me, it's one of those books that you want to savor. There's just sooooo much in it! I'm so glad that she recommended it!This is the only apron, I've actually made. I made it for our younger daughter to wear at the Social Studies Fair. (Her project was on the History of Doughnuts -- yum!) It was really fun, but I'm no seamstress. I'm self-taught with the sewing and am just not very good at all. I've ripped out more stitches in the last 19 years than it seems I've sewn. Holding my head in shame....... but I keep trying. I need to make a "Manly" one for my son -- he loves to bake! And younger daughter needs one for the garden. So I guess that I'm off to find some inspiration........

A friend sent this article about aprons to me and I thought you might like it. Here goes:

History of Aprons
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.
It was wonderful for drying children's tears and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears .

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls. In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.
It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so may purposes.
Many Blessings,
Julie

12 comments:

BittersweetPunkin said...

I LOVE that fabric you used on the apron! It's so nice! Let me know what you decide for the "manly" apron....thats a tough one...but they do have a lot of boy inspired fabrics like super heroes and cars/trucks and things like that these days....maybe you can find a vintage cowboy fabric!
Hugs,
Robin

Jenny said...

Love the apron! I just generally love aprons though. They've become a new "passion" of mine.

I think you did a fabulous job on your younger daughter's apron. Was the ruffle hard to do? That's the part that intimidates me. It's SO pretty!

Blessings!

tincanlily said...

I love aprons too. I was thinking about making a few for Christmas gifts. A friend made me one over ten years ago and I still treasure it. My husband likes to cook. He has a few aprons my Mother has given him over the years. He actually uses them when he is preparing for a cookout. I never thought I would see the day he actually asked for one. He made a shrimp pasta dish for supper tonight.

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

Love the apron, the colors of the material are beautiful. I have purchased several apron patterns and have started making aprons.

Irma

Pam said...

Julie, the apron you made is darling....you did a terrific job.
I have two started right now, but don't know when I'm ever going to finish them...one is for me and the other is a matching one for a certain small girl!
I love aprons...and all that they represent.
Have a wonderful Monday-
Hugs,
Pam

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Julie, how cheerful and vibrant your apron is! I am trying to find a pattern for a "Amish type", garden apron. One that kind of goes over a dress and has pockets to put veggies or eggs in. Any ideas? I enjoyed the apron article. Keep up the great stitches! blessings, Kathleen

Paisleyand Polka Dot Patterns said...

I love that apron! Who says you're not a pro! Let us see what you come up with for your son too! Thanks for the interesting article on aprons...cool!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Dearest Julie! Now you just lift that cute little head of yours up with pride! That apron is adorable and even with a ruffle mind you! Love the fabric to!!! Don't you just love this book of our dear MaryJane Butters! So much to read and do! Have a wonderful week Julie! Hugs, Maryjane

Mrs. B said...

Hi Julie! You were so sweet to leave a comment on my beach pictures a while back, and somehow I overlooked it. Well, now I'm so glad I discovered it today, because I got to come visit your oh-so-cute blog! I love the fabric you used for that apron. I've seen some fun retro prints like that at our local fabric store and always thought they'd make great aprons! I also loved your history of aprons. It made me imagine that's what my grandma would have used her apron for on their farm in Missouri when her boys were young.

Rebecca said...

Julie, I LOVE your apron! Very cute!

And I love the story of Grandma's apron. I am the proud owner of several aprons that were made by my grandmother and great grandmother. I cannot wait to print the story you posted to pack away with those aprons. Better yet, maybe I should wear those aprons and every now and then.

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Julie ~ that is such a darling apron. You did a lovely job on it. And its your first? Amazing!

I love MaryJane's book too. I just never get tired of browsing through it for new ideas. Of course, with my lack of memory these days, every time I open it is all new again! LOL

Keep up the wonderful work!

Blessings,
Lea

Anonymous said...

I *love* that apron. That vintage kitchen print is adorable.

I think you underestimate your sewing skills. Your apron is great.

Kate

Blog Widget by LinkWithin