Okay, I just have to say, "Buttermilk is nasty!" The smell of it makes me gag and I generally avoid (okay, I pretty much go out of my way to avoid it!) but the Texas Sheet Cake calls for it, so I just bit the bullet and bought it. Well it only calls for a 1/2 cup!!!! What am I supposed to do with the rest????? Well, I did a Google search and found a recipe for Southern Buttermilk Biscuits -- why not? So I made them and the family was really sweet (but aren't they always?!?) and ate them right up!
Here's the recipe from Recipezaar.com:

Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 Tbls. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt or salt
6 Tbls. unsalted butter, very cold
3/4 cup buttermilk
* Preheat oven to 450F. * Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. * Cut the butter into chunks and cut into the flour until it resembles course meal. * Add the buttermilk and mix JUST until combined. If it appears on the dry side, add a bit more buttermilk. * Turn the dough out onto a floured board. * Gently PAT the dough out until it's about 1/2' thick. * Use a round cutter to cut into rounds. * Place biscuits on a cookie sheet -- if you like soft sides, put them touching each other. If you like "crusty" sides, place them about 1" apart. * Bake for about 10-12 minutes -- the biscuits will be a beautiful light golden brown on top and bottom. * Do not overbake.
Well, I still had buttermilk left!!! Ugh!!! Then I saw this recipe for Gingerbread Pancakes (also on recipezaar!) So I made them for the children for lunch (yesterday) and breakfast (this morning.) I doubled the recipe and guess what? I had exactly 2 cups of buttermilk!!! I love to not waste things!!!

Gingerbread Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbls sugar
1 Tbls. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
3 Tbls. butter, melted
1 Tbls. molasses
1 Tbls. molasses
* Add the first 9 ingredients to a large mixing bowl; stir to combine. * Make a well in the center of dry ingredients. * In a small bowl, add egg, buttermilk, butter, and molasses; stir to combine. * Add egg mixture to dry ingredients; sir just until moistened. * Cook!
Okay, now that the dilemma over the buttermilk is solved, I think I can breathe for a moment!
If only all "problems" were solved so easily........
I hope that everyone had a blessed week-end! I know that Atlanta and, of course, other areas of the south had a pretty tough one and we're in for another round for the next couple of days. There always seem to be the worst storms around the Easter holidays, don't there? Let's pray for safety for everyone. I'm hearing the Casting Crowns song, "Praise YOU in this Storm", right now. A fellow Christian blogger introduced me to it and it really is beautiful -- here's a link to it.
Listen to it, it will bless you.
Praise You in this Storm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef9jKHwHueQ&feature=related
Listen to those words and be blessed!
Again, y'all stay safe!
Many Blessings,
Julie

5 comments:
Beautiful song! Thank you for sharing it!
Conga-Rats on the passing of the buttermilk, too. Well. Not the literal "passing" of the buttermilk. You know what I mean.
Have a wonderful evening!
Buttermilk is a staple in our house. I use it for biscuits, cornbread (my favorite), pancakes- my Mom loves to drink the stuff with cornbread....I can't take it quite that far!!!
The gingerbread pancakes look WONDERFUL! I'm gonna give them a try.
Blessings to you and your family---you are a blessing to others.
Hugs,
Pam
Jenny -- you nut!!!! I didn't "pass" any buttermilk - I didn't digest any of it! But you sure made us all giggle!!! Glad you liked the song!
Pam -- I hope that I didn't offend you by saying that buttermilk is nasty. I, truthfully, don't like any milk -- it's just that buttermilk smells so sour that it has a really bad effect on me.
My mother and grandfather used to drink it with their cornbread, too!
I was just telling our children about that, yesterday!
Thank you both, for commenting!
Y'all just make my day!
Blessings,
Julie
I use buttermilk in my southern biscuits too--But I use self-rising flour and Crisco instead of butter--and don't measure any of it--just go by how it looks and feels.
Until I was married, I thought that you could only get buscuits from a can. (My mother-in-law taught me otherwise.:)
Glad to find your blog, and to see the real meaning of Easter highlighted.
Blessings~
Cathy
Cathy,
I wish that I could make biscuits, like that! I'm so jealous!!! I buy them from a can anytime we have them. Wish that I'd have used self-rising flour...my weren't "puffy"!
I'll try that next time!
Thank you!
Julie
Post a Comment