Saturday, May 3, 2008

Garden Aprons

Okay, I dropped the "hand print project" to make younger daughter a couple of gardening aprons. I knew that a garden apron would need to be sturdy, but I couldn't think of what material, I have, that would do. Then, as I lie awake in the middle of the night, I remembered these pair of jeans (that were torn) my husband gave to me!!! I still wasn't sure how I was going to use them to make an apron -- but it is just for the garden........... As I opened them up and started playing, I thought of this..... Husband said it looks like she put her skirt on backwards! He's so bad!!!!It was really a no-sew project -- I only put a hem in the bottom! The "belt" is just ribbon that I threaded through the belt loops.This one is from one of the legs. The colors didn't come out right, on camera, at all!?!?
I cut it off and open -- the bottom didn't need to be hemmed because it was that sturdy in-seam (am I saying that right?) on the jean leg! There are actually 2 pockets sewn on the front (it looks like just one, though.) And because I loooooooooove rick-rack, I added the jumbo to the bottom.

This is just a close-up of the belt, I made. It's threaded through the top "hem" and just simply ties in the back.
I so much dislike having to throw things away and love finding a way to re-purpose. I've used old jeans to make pillow covers and a lap blanket for our son. When I was in the middle of apron #2, yesterday, I noticed that it looked alot like a placemat.........hmmmm....wonder if sweet husband has anymore torn jeans?!?!? (Rubbing hands menacingly and laughing like a crazed woman..... hoo, ha, ha, ha!!!!) Sorry, kind of lost it for a minute! Y'all have a blessed, safe weekend!

Many Blessings,

Julie

15 comments:

Jenny said...

I love the aprons! That super duper ric-rac is awesome. I love that stuff. Where did you find it? I've only seen it at a local quilt store. Your kiddo looks mighty pleased! :)

Cow snot in a glass! I'm LOL right now. I just say it tastes like spit, but I like your adjective MUCH better.

LMAO,
Jenny

Julie said...

Thanks, Jenny! I got the rick-rack at Hobby Lobby. I just can't get enough of it!!!!
I won't EVEN tell people what we're talking about with the cow snot! My family gets so mad at me when they've just taken a big gulp!
Blessings,
Julie

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I just LOVE those aprons!!!!! What a cool idea to recycle jeans, etc. So glad I found you here!!!! Just love your blog! Cora

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh My Goodness Julie!!! LOVE these aprons to!!!!! And Gardening ones! Now how cute is that?! Could have used one today because I am covered with dirt, even at this moment! Your children always have beautiful smiles in all the pictures. Thanks for sending me down memory lane with you...pink roses & piggy's! Love ya! Maryjane

Donna Lynn said...

Julie,
This apron is such a great inspired thing you made! The denim will wear like iron, sounds like you need that with cows!
Hope you are enjoying your weekend with your beautiful family!
Donna Lynn

tincanlily said...

You did a great job on both aprons. I am sure they will get a lot of use. I really never thought of a garden apron before. I see alot of them mentioned in the blogs I read. Good idea, I may make one for myself. A place to put my phone and a small small shovel. Yo yos are so easy to make that you could do them in your sleep. Google Heather Bailey how to make a yo yo. She has great step by step instuctions.

Mrs. B said...

What a great job you did! Both are very cute. What a great idea using the jean pockets for front pockets! But I just adore that second apron with the paisley and ric rac! Love the color combo on it too!

Pam said...

Oh Julie, what a good idea...the aprons are adorable! My husband just threw away an old pair of jeans....I'm going to fish them out of the trash can....!
Thank you so much, dear friend, for the chicken recipe. It sounds really good and I'm going to try it.
Hugs,
Pam

BittersweetPunkin said...

Thats so cute Julie...what a wonderful way to re purpose a pair of jeans! That would be great for gardening! Have a lovely weekend!
Hugs,
Robin

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

What a great idea. I really needed one this afternoon. I will definetly need to make me one. Your daughter is such a sweet model.
Great smile.
Hugs:)
Irma

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

The aprons are just precious. I know what you mean about old jeans. I always save them for later purposes. I have made several blue jean work jackets for my Sweetie. I line them with flannel fabric. Just loved visiting. Blessings, Kathleen

Kathi said...

These are the cutest aprons, and so durable. I love the fact that sturdy pockets and hem are already there, and the belt loops ~ perfect. Way to go Mom. Have a blessed day, Kathi

Painted Pink Pot said...

Julie, That was a great idea. How creative!!!!

Stacy

Julie said...

Thank you all, so very much, for your too sweet words!
You are all so encouraging, to me and my family!
With much gratitude....
Julie

Farmhouse Blessings said...

How pretty! What a wonderful way to be frugal and fun all at the same time!

Smiles,
Lea

Blog Widget by LinkWithin