One of the many, many books that we're using now, is this one:
It's an excellent book! It's about a fictional family, but they could have been all too real! They worked hard, prayed, grieved, hoped and loved very heartily. Never whining or feeling self pity at their circumstances! The book is soooooooooooo informative, telling you how they made soap (something that I'm enthralled with, at the moment, but am so afraid of the lye!) Not them, though, they were NOT sissies! How they told time (no clocks for most people -- too expensive.) So, so, so much more! It's really great -- I highly recommend it!
We just received these companion books to the original. I've still got to read them and make units (I should be doing that right now, as a matter......) but they look just as good as their predecessor! We'll be using these for the next week or two!
I forgot to show y'all a couple of my "new" treasures! On Mother's Day, I accompanied our oldest daughter to Antique Alley to buy a clarinet. Her Daddy is going to make a lamp for her (did I mention that my husband is brilliant?!?!?) And I saw these few things..... the spools are wooden -- not plastic, wooden!!!! They are in the blue canning jars that I bought on my last venture! Isn't the pattern so sweet? Originally 15 cents, I paid almost $2 -- inflation..... ;*)
Look at my new Baptist Hymnal! Isn't it pretty?!?!? Do you just think of how many worshippers held this and sang praises to our Lord?!!!! Wonder how many of them are in His eternal presence, singing to Him, right now? Gives me goosebumps!
And finally...... Christmas!!!!! Yay!!!!! I wish that y'all could see how beautiful the color of these ornaments are! I've got to figure out how to use my camera one of these days...... Again, thinking of the sweet family that hung these on their tree -- Bing Crosby singing in the background, fire roaring, the laughter, the joy......
It's an excellent book! It's about a fictional family, but they could have been all too real! They worked hard, prayed, grieved, hoped and loved very heartily. Never whining or feeling self pity at their circumstances! The book is soooooooooooo informative, telling you how they made soap (something that I'm enthralled with, at the moment, but am so afraid of the lye!) Not them, though, they were NOT sissies! How they told time (no clocks for most people -- too expensive.) So, so, so much more! It's really great -- I highly recommend it!
We just received these companion books to the original. I've still got to read them and make units (I should be doing that right now, as a matter......) but they look just as good as their predecessor! We'll be using these for the next week or two!
I forgot to show y'all a couple of my "new" treasures! On Mother's Day, I accompanied our oldest daughter to Antique Alley to buy a clarinet. Her Daddy is going to make a lamp for her (did I mention that my husband is brilliant?!?!?) And I saw these few things..... the spools are wooden -- not plastic, wooden!!!! They are in the blue canning jars that I bought on my last venture! Isn't the pattern so sweet? Originally 15 cents, I paid almost $2 -- inflation..... ;*)
Look at my new Baptist Hymnal! Isn't it pretty?!?!? Do you just think of how many worshippers held this and sang praises to our Lord?!!!! Wonder how many of them are in His eternal presence, singing to Him, right now? Gives me goosebumps!
And finally...... Christmas!!!!! Yay!!!!! I wish that y'all could see how beautiful the color of these ornaments are! I've got to figure out how to use my camera one of these days...... Again, thinking of the sweet family that hung these on their tree -- Bing Crosby singing in the background, fire roaring, the laughter, the joy......
Thanks so much for visiting! I hope that you all had a blessed week-end! I'm off to see what y'all were doing....
Many Blessings,
Julie

6 comments:
Hi Julie!
What a lovely post, I love your wooden thread spools, I have recently gotten my MIL's and that is what I had in the square glass jar on my post! I love the idea of putting thread in the old blue jars.
So happy for you that you have finished another year! Josh is my only one that we are homeschooling, so I don't have the pressure like I did when I was schooling all three! He may try going to public school so he can take some things like drama and wood shop. They have wonderful electives here, pray for us to make the right decision, I don't want to do it if the Lord doesn't lead us there.
Have a lovely week!
Donna Lynn
Goosebumps here too.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Lovely, lovely comments.
Cathy
Hi Julie, I know how you feel about school almost being over! When we homeschooled, we could not wait to be finished, and then we could not wait to order our new curriculum. We homeschooled 8 years and then they started going to the school they now attend. My daughter will be graduating in two weeks and my youngest son will be out for the summer. Time flies by so fast. I love your treasures. I love wooden spools of thread. I have a baskit full that I have been collecting over the years. Are you going to make another pretty apron? blessings, Kathleen
Oh, I LOVE wooden spools! They are so cool. And the color of that hymnal alone!?! Gorgeous! Does it have a year it was published? You're right, it certainly does look well used. I would love to know some of the stories of the people that used them. The ornaments are great. Unfortunately, we're not anywhere using glass with SuperBoy around. :)
And last, but certainly not least. . .
Reunited........And it feels SO good. . .
I just had to. Still singing it?
Hugs,
Jenny
Some very lovely finds there!!!! Especially the wooden spools and that pattern! Just love it! So glad I found your blog!!!!!
Please come on over and sign up for my giveaway! Would love to have you visit!
Cora
Hi Julie!
I love all your finds- the wooden spools...I remember those! Mind you I was VERY young!!!!!!
I love the pattern- are you going to make an apron from that?
The song book is awesome. I found an old songbook when I was working at church several years ago- it was in a pile of things to be given away- I noticed it because it was just like the one we used in church when I was a little girl-our minister gave it to me and I do cherish it.
LOVE the glass ornaments- there is just nothing like them.
School will be out here on Wednesday- I'm looking forward to it. No big plans, just playing in the backyard and stuff!
Have a wonderful week-
Hugs,
Pam
Post a Comment