As a teen, my beau (my husband, now!) and I went to another doughnut place. And with their delicious, crispy cruellers.......I was won over. For years, I would say that Krispy Kreme was my favorite, much to the shock and embarrassment of my husband and brother.One time, my too sweet husband drove us all the way to Jackson, MS just to buy me some so that we could nosh as we drove the Natchez Trace (part of it anyway!) Isn't that sweet?
Now, the closest Krispy Kreme is in Shreveport. So the last time we were there, we stopped in to buy some. They were $7.50 a dozen!!!! EIGHT with tax! What?!?!? They weren't THAT good! So, now, I'm over Krispy Kreme........ Maybe it was just that it was a special, and at that time, inexpensive place for my sweetie and I to sit and talk. We will always have those memories -- just not those doughnuts!
This morning, I realized (or perhaps remembered) that Southern Maid Donuts really are the best. My husband and brother can remove the paper bags from their heads, now.... hold your heads high again, boys!
I'll try not to shame you, again....
If you're ever down here, in Louisiana or Texas, try to find you one! They are soooooooo good!
Many Blessings,
Julie
P.S. I just read that Elvis did the only commercial of his life for any product, for Southern Maid donuts. I mean, c'mon....Elvis -- what was I thinking?!?!? :*)

12 comments:
YUM! I love a good plain glazed doughnut. The jelly filled aren't so bad either, lol.
You mean these are better than Krispy Kreme? Our KK closed a few years ago and we can only get them at the grocery store now. I don't get them though, because I'd probably eat the whole box alone, lol. I wouldn't mind that so much, but my thighs would be screaming expletives at me. :)
DH & I used to love a KK when we were dating for a late night stop. Even later I would make a B-line for KK for a raspberry filled after every OB appointment with DS1 (after because of the weighing issue and also would hate to inflate my sugar #s! LOL). Never tried the your best but I will admit I don't think KK is what they used to be...not to mention the "hot now" sign is rarely on anymore (what is UP with that?) oh and $7 for a dozen...geez.
I ADORE donuts!! I don't think Krispy Kremes are all that...they leave a thick lard like coating on the roof of my mouth...ick!!!!
Have a great weekend and enjoy those yummy donuts!!
I have never heard of Sothern Maid Donuts, but they do sound gooood. We had a KK up here in Rhode Island but it closed after a few years. In southern New England, there is only one donut shop that rules and it is Dunkin Donuts. There are a few other donut/coffee shops but there is a DD on every corner. I love their little munchkin donuts. Actually I think DD is really known for their coffee rather than donuts.
Have a wonderful weekend.
denise
I love good doughnuts, but sometimes Krispy Kreme's are a little too sweet for me. I'll have to give these a try if I'm ever down that way. Hope you are having a great weekend!
I say there's nothing better than a warm donut and a cup of coffee. (Except for all of the calories!)
Hello Sweet Julie!
Now I can just imagine what was in that box! YummmmmmmmY! Donuts are hard for me to resist...actually I have never been able to! Cute post! Memories!
The PINK bike! I did not get that pink one from Target BUT yesterday I went and rode some more PINK bikes with DH! Should have seen me with a helmet on screaming as I almost hit a wall! Anyhoo, I found the right pink bike for me! It's a Townie Electra! Going back Tues. (my Birthday) to order it & add all the bells & whistles! Yes, pink white wall tires, basket and all! I will post a pic when I finally get get!
Have a wonderful Sabbbath Day Sweetie pie!
Hugs,
Maryjane
I'm drooling!!!! I haven't had these, but the Krispy Kreme were always my favorite and there isn't one close anymore. Maybe that's a good thing!!!! They would just melt in your mouth. I remember thinking that they just had a bit more vanilla taste in them than any other glazed donut. Just tooo good. Thanks for the drooling memories!!! Cora
Yum~I love donuts! Krispy Kreme are my favs, but, I'll eat almost any kind. I've never had Southern Maid. I hope I get to try them sometime!
R~Mary
I don't eat donuts because of the nasty greasy coating left in my mouth afterwards! I have changed my eating habits so much in the past 22 yrs. that I don't think I have had a donut in ages...Now, homemade would be awesome and maybe your special donuts are not like the store bought! I used to love eating raspberry filled and the lemon filled ones, fruit one are the best in my humble opinion! :)
Hope your having a grand weekend so far...I am trying to get caught up on my blogging, we had a garage sale at my sons and I am trying to pack and get ready for my trip to TN on Thursday...
XO,
DL
Hi Julie :)
My favorite doughnuts are from Winchell's in CA. We used to eat them every Sunday when I was a kid :)
I love all doughnuts though ;)
rue
LOL ~ you are so funny! Could you squish one of those really flat and stick it in an envelope with my name and address on it? LOL They do sound really good!
Smiles,
Lea
Post a Comment