Monday, May 12, 2008

~Mother's Day~

I hope that everyone had a most blessed Mother's Day!

Yesterday, was like the very first Mother's Day, for me. Or rather it was the first that I felt was ..... for me! I know that that sounds really strange and I wouldn't have even brought it up, except that I'm just so happy that I want y'all to understand...... I'm gonna try to do this quickly........ (finger crossed) .....
I've never really felt like Mother's Day belonged to me. It was ALL about my mother. And then 7 years ago, when my mother told my brother, sister, and I that she didn't want to be a mother or a grandmother anymore, for me, Mother's day was over, for good and all. There wasn't any point. If I couldn't celebrate my Mother, then there simply wasn't any mother's day. I wasn't thinking about what I was doing to my children, taking it away from them, as well. I just thought that I might save them some heartache. Instead, I was doing the opposite. They wouldn't say anything about it, for fear of making me feel sad. My husband tried to talk sense to me, but I just couldn't understand and thought that he couldn't understand that I was trying to protect them. One Mother's day, a couple of years ago, our little man asked if he could tell me, "Happy Mother's Day"? My heart just broke as I told him that he could. Then our girls came and wished me a happy mother's day, as well. We had a long talk and that's when my eyes were opened. I still couldn't see how Mother's Day was for me, though. Until, this year....

My husband kept telling me that the children were working really hard and that I was going to be so surprised! ???? Ever the bonehead, I was wondering why? I don't want them to make themselves crazy, for me. Being a Mommy is my dream, my priviledge, my gift from God. Why would you thank me for being so blessed? But then, God started to change my thinking..... I started to be excited ..... for the children! They wanted to do these things and they were working, together, to make it a special day for me. For ME!!!!

If you're still with me.......... this is some of what happened yesterday ..... I lie in bed waiting for them to come "wake me up ;*) " I could hear them outside the door whispering and tripping over each other and then beside our bed whispering, "Now, yes, okay, now........Happy Mother's Day, Mommy!" (sweet hubby at work) I rolled over and smiled at them and tried to soak up the absolute wonder of my blessings. I was trying, so hard, to take a mental picture to last me forever. Y'all, it was just priceless! We laughed and talked for a bit, then they were off to work some more........

When I went into the living room, they had decorated it so pretty! They fixed me a cup of coffee and started mixing a cake to bake for me! A spicy, blackberry cake! Our older daughter wrote me a book........... a novel!!!!!! Can't wait to read it, Sweetie!Our younger daughter designed this apron, that older sewed for me. When I went to bed, baby girl had left me another surprise..... Earrings that she made and a beautiful card!Little man, made me this notebook! I told him that it will be great to write down all of my diabolical plans to rule the world in!!! (Channeling Pinkie and the Brain....my plans would end as theirs did, too!) He also made me a delicious candy of melted M&M's placed in molds!

I believe that it's official...........I had the best Mother's Day!!!!!! I do so hope that yours were as blessed as mine!

Many, Many Blessings,

Julie

12 comments:

Jenny said...

You certainly had the best Mother's Day! What a wonderful time for you. I'm so sorry you had the stinky experience 7 years ago. Now, it's you're time to celebrate. You're so blessed.

Happy Tuesday,
Jenny

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Wow! What a wonderful day.
Blessings to you~
Cathy

Pam said...

Julie, there is so much I want to say, but there just isn't enough room....
I am so happy that you had a wonderful Mother's Day. You deserve all of it and more. You are a wonderful mother; it just shows in the pictures of your children, and it is obvious that they adore you.
When I began reading your post, the tears began to fall- I just wanted to hug you and tell you that it is going to be alright...but you already know this-God has not only given you a sweet spirit, but the strength and grace to see this through. He has also blessed you with precious children. You are raising them well and they are blessed indeed to have you as their mother.
Hugs,
Pam

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh You Sweet Woman Julie!!! You have made me cry with your posting! If any woman in this world deserves a REAL Mother's Day to celebrate the Lord's sweetest creation of all, is you Missy Julie! Your family adores you and I am glad you saw the light and opened your heart up to this special day! Your children needed this day to honor you. I am so sorry you had such a bad experience with your own Mother but thrilled you have now made Mother's Day YOUR day from this day forward! Look how darling your children look in your pretty kitchen doing for YOU and the loving gifts that they made are priceless! You have many more wonderful Mother's Days to look forward to...breath & enjoy! You are soooooo blessed Julie! You are a wonderful Mother and loving friend to those who are blessed to know you! You are a "jewel"!

Love,
Maryjane Lee

Mary L. Briggs said...

What a wonderful Mother's Day you had! A great gift for your children, too, being the mother that you are to them!

R~Mary

Donna Lynn said...

Oh Julie,
My heart was breaking for you about your mom, I am so sorry she hurt you so deeply like that! It is terrible to deal with that kind of hurt from someone we hold in such high regard in our hearts...
Then, I read on, and hope returns to you through your own precious children! PTL!!!

Bless you this week!
Donna Lynn

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I am so glad that you were able to soak up all of the love from those precious children of yours! I bet they had the best Mothers Day too!
Penny

Rebecca said...

((((Julie)))) What a perfect mother's day. And yes, how incredibly blessed you are. Be proud! You're a fantastic mom. :)

sheila from life @ #17 said...

your kids certainly outdid themselves for your First Mother's Day :)...I'm glad it was a good day for all of ya'll...

and your mom...well, you know, it was something inside of her...it wasn't really about you or your siblings..all though I know you took it heart...and that is a shame...

but you're Better Now :)

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I do believe those little ones were just as blessed giving to you as you were to receive their expressions of love! I am so happy that you have reclaimed Mother's Day for the blessing it is!

The girls did a wonderful job on tha apron. And the notebook is sooo nice!

Smiles,
Lea

tincanlily said...

Holidys can sometimes be a bit overwhelming for many reasons. I can understand your mixed feelings about Mother's Day. I do not have any issues with my Mom, I just understand. It sounds like a lovely day and I hope you celebrate many more.
Denie

BittersweetPunkin said...

WOW~ you are BLESSED! That lil story brought a tear to my eye at first and I was so blown away by the love that they showered on you! We Mother's do tend to put ourselves last ...but we have to remember that we are a shining example to those precious lil gems that mean so much to us...while you were grieving over not celebrating your Mother they were doing the same thing...for YOU!!
Hugs,
Robin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin