There is so much going on in our lives at the moment .... and yet, it's really only the promise of what's going to happen or could happen. They are really big things (to us.) But we're waiting, as we have been these last 7 years.
About 15 years ago, I read a little from a book called God's Waiting Room by Rick Yohn. I had to take it back to the library before I had the chance to finish it and haven't been able to find it since. But since then, I've noticed times in our lives when we've been there -- in God's waiting room. Sometimes, it's a rather uncomfortable place to be (like alot of waiting rooms!) other times, it's been a great place to pause, reflect, and rest in Him (as it should be!) Well, I am ashamed to admit that we've not handled this as we should all the time. Instead, we've been acting like those people you see in waiting rooms who are anxiously shifting in their seats, grunting, looking at their watches, and constantly going up to the receptionist asking, "How much longer?" I say "those people" because, in reality, when we are sitting there, we don't ever act like that. Sure, we're uncomfortable and would like to get back there, but so would everyone else! But, of course, that's in the physical sense -- the spiritual sense, isn't always so easy to identify.
The thing is, we haven't been in a terrible place to wait, but it has seemed like it, at times. We've made it that way. We are the "have to be settled" kind of people -- not nomadic at all! I'd have gone crazy in that desert for 40 years! But, at the same time, I'm in that desert! We've been wandering. Yes, we have a home, but that doesn't make you settled -- it's really just been a symbol. This has been more of a resting spot -- but it's been a restless one. Always with the threat of having to leave.
We think and pray that it's almost our turn to be the lucky one's called from the waiting room -- but just like getting up to leave the real waiting room ...... that's a whole OTHER kind of scary and strangely exciting! When you've been still for a while, you're a little hesitant to get up and go (even though you think it's what you've really been waiting for!) So that's where we are.... Waiting for the blessings, yet to come, the one's that we KNOW he has waiting for us and has been trying to prepare us for.
Have you ever been there?
I'm so glad to have y'all. You are just the sweetest, most supportive friends. You say the most encouraging and inspirational things, to me and I am are truly, so grateful for every word.
May God Bless each of you!
Julie

8 comments:
Hi Julie,
Wonderful post! I've never really heard of that analogy before, but it's very profound. And nicely timed, as we've had some "waiting" to do in our family lately.
"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint"
Blessings.
Good Evening Julie,
I love the scripture Cathy quoted too, times of waiting do bring us strength, then we are all jazzed up for the running part!!!!
Hope your waiting will be over soon! I will pray for that...
XXOO,
Donna Lynn
I have to tell you this is just another thing that comes and goes in my life :)...
I get impatient and restless waiting for something DH & I have talked about for a long time...and then I get settled down...and then I get impatient and restless, LOL...
unfortunately, my impatience can make it difficult to enjoy our "place" right now...and I dislike that so I'm workin' hard to be more at peace and happy in the present and less in the future...
let it come when it comes is what I'm tryin' hard to learn...
Great post! Patience is a virtue I have trouble living up to, I must admit. Like you, I'm waiting to be called out of this "room" we're in and wonder at times if I should go back to work. That would likely mean kids go to school, which I'm not up for at all. There's a trade-off I remind myself of. We could have more, but I wouldn't have the kiddos with me.
Thank you for hte reminder.
Blessings and hugs,
Jenny
They do say, good things happen to those who wait. I am an impatient person too. I do try to work on it. It is really hard in this have everything in an instant world we live in...
Penny
Julie...what a great post. I think everyone goes through those times. What encouragement our Lord gives us while we wait...the scripture quoted by Cathy is one that my husband and I lean on frequently- it is my husband's favorite verse. My favorite verse is Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the thoughts I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope," (NKJV). That verse gives me such comfort, to know that even in those waiting times, our times are in His hands, and that we are in His care.
Julie, you have been so kind and encouraging to me- you always have something positive to say and I appreciate it so much.
Blessings, and hugs,
Pam
Julie, I am all too familiar with that waiting room. Our family was unsettled for 7 long years and sometimes I am so ashamed at my impatience and lack of faith during that time. But the Lord was so patient with me and just kept showing me that He was in control.
Cathy & Pam have shared the most precious verses. The truth of those words are so profound.
I pray that the time will soon come when you can look in retrospect and see how the Lord worked all things for good because you loved Him!
Blessings & joy,
Lea
Hi Julie! What an interesting post. It really makes you think.
I think I tend to spend too much time waiting, thinking about what's ahead, and how that will somehow be better than now. Although I truly believe patience is a virtue, I also think that, at least for me, I need to work harder on enjoying and appreciating the now.
But feeling settled is important, and I hope that you find that soon!
Post a Comment