Or rather in the way that I think most couples celebrate it. We don't get each other special gifts and cards (or get mad when the other doesn't!) This has seemed to be a real "hot button" topic when I've talked about it with some people -- so just know that I do NOT mean to offend!!!!
I've seen so many couples get sooooooooo angry on what should or was probably meant to be one of the most 'loving' days. So we just don't celebrate it (like that, anyway!) We (hubby and I) also don't buy each other birthday, anniversary, or Christmas gifts....... We get each other gifts when we can and because we want to, not because we have to or because we expect it. Like the new mattress set. I consider that a HUGE gift, but it didn't come on any gift giving occasion. Or the new crockpot, that's a gift (in my opinion) but, again, not on a holiday. My husband got a nail gun, the other day......I guess that's a gift, too. But we really just look at these as gifts from God (as all things are!) and not so much from each other, per say.
But..................... we celebrate with our children and give them gifts (just as God, our Father, gives us, His children, gifts!) and we have so much fun! So for Valentines day, we've read up on the traditions and some cute children's books and we borrowed a video from the library (who's shocked, here?!?!) about St. Valentine and his love for God. Very sweet.
But..................... we celebrate with our children and give them gifts (just as God, our Father, gives us, His children, gifts!) and we have so much fun! So for Valentines day, we've read up on the traditions and some cute children's books and we borrowed a video from the library (who's shocked, here?!?!) about St. Valentine and his love for God. Very sweet.



We decorate (we look for reasons to craft, sometimes!) and we bake cookies (I have some sugar cookie dough in the refrigerator chilling, right now!) and cupcakes, etc. Sometimes, we make each other cards -- the children do this primarily! But it's just lots of fun -- no pressure!
These are some of the things we've made, this year........ I was in a hurry with the banner and am NOT happy with it, but oh well............. The children paper pieced their works of art!!!!




Here are our babies (or 2 of them, anyway!) making their Valentines!






Our oldest (not pictured) made this one -- which posted twice for some reason?????
I hope that y'all have a very Happy Valentine's Day -- and celebrate it in the way that's best for you and your family!
Many Blessings,
Julie
P.S. I made potato soup (in the crockpot!!!) the other night and the family said they loved it. I'm not sure if they were just being sweet or if they meant it -- but they ate it!!! I tweaked the recipe by adding meat (hubby has to have meat -- even in our salads!!!)

2 comments:
Yes m'am, we really, truly, most definately loved the soup. To anyone who reads my mother's post, let me say- it was the best potato soup I have ever had. The only problem with it was that we were too full for ice cream later that night. It was sooooo good. I hope we have it again, soon!!!
We celebrate it the same way you do! I tell my hubby don't even agonize over picking out the perfect card...thats not where it is for me. We show each other our love by what we contribute to our family and our household! I love all the cute decorations!
Blessings,
Robin
Post a Comment