Here's what I did......... Supplies: 10 inch cast-iron skillet; 1 box Betty Crocker Golden Vanilla cake mix (any will do!) Pecans (I used chopped); C&H Brown Cane Sugar; 1 can (29oz) sliced peaches; 3 eggs; oil; 1/2 cup butter Extra Spices: 1-1/2tsp Cinnamon; 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves; Dash of Nutmeg

Melt stick of butter in skillet at 350 degrees. Add 1 cup brown sugar, 1-1/2tsp cinnamon, 1/8tsp ground cloves, and dash of nutmeg. Stir until dissolved. Add 1/2-1 Cup chopped pecans. Drain and reserve syrup from peaches. (the 29oz can contained exactly 1-1/4 cup syrup) Add peach slices to bottom of skillet.
In a medium mixing bowl, add cake mix, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1-1/4 cup peach syrup (or you can use water - as the cake mix suggests!), and 3 large eggs. Mix well and gently pour over sliced peaches, etc.
Place in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. I started at 45 minutes but added 15 minutes (in 5 minute increments.)
The family seemed to like this, but they're always sweet about my cooking!
The homemade bread that I made today, however, was a TOTAL failure. The only good thing that came out of it (besides our Labrador ate it - so it didn't have to be thrown away) was that my biceps got a workout!
Does anyone have a good bread recipe???? Something pretty much no-fail? I understand, completely, that today's mishap was operator error -- so I need something "idiot proof," please!
Many Blessings,
Julie

4 comments:
Your cake looks yummy!! Talk about cheating...I made those Pillsbury already sliced Bunny Cookies for my son today...I had to open the package, put them on the cookie sheet and bake! Boy am I tired...LOL!
Great job! Looks yummy!
I'll have to check my bread recipes. I think I have 2. I have a sourdough I make from scratch, starter and all. May be fun for the kiddos to watch it ferment. I'm sure your son would love to still it when it gets "frothy". Odd word, huh? Aywho, the other I have is a recipe from my great-grandmother that I ahven't made in a while. It's just so darn wasy to buy it at the store. All the enriched stuff and partially hydrogenate-eds. :) If I don't reply here, I may post it on my blog. Need to post more, but it's all so not blog-worthy. Bor-ing. . .
Soon, Chickee!
Jenny
OOPS. . .Maybe your son would like to STIR it instead of stilling it. :)
Also the haven't and easy were spelled wngor. Just kidding, I'm really not (quite) that slow.
:)
Hi Julie,
Thanks for visiting my blog! how did you find me?
The peach upside cake looks wonderful! I have wonderful memories of my mom's pineapple upside down cake, and now I want a bite!
Running off to look some more... :)
Becky
Post a Comment