I first have to try to link this song/video. I've never done this before (I can't even figure out how to put my favorite bloggers on the side!!!) but I've got to try this. My friend sent me the link in an e-mail. I'm so glad that she did. I feel you'll be so blessed by watching. Warning: Have your Kleenex in hand............
New Again
About the bread.......this time, I used a different recipe. I also used my mixer to do almost all of the kneading. I used bread flour (as called for in this recipe) and I didn't cut it for 30 minutes. I didn't know about that rule, until I read it the other day!
Here is a picture of the bread (my husband says that the lighting in our house is terrible -- he's right!) I only have one bread loaf pan and then one mini loaf pan -- that's why there are the tiny loafs.
New Again
About the bread.......this time, I used a different recipe. I also used my mixer to do almost all of the kneading. I used bread flour (as called for in this recipe) and I didn't cut it for 30 minutes. I didn't know about that rule, until I read it the other day!
Here is a picture of the bread (my husband says that the lighting in our house is terrible -- he's right!) I only have one bread loaf pan and then one mini loaf pan -- that's why there are the tiny loafs.

Here's a picture of the book I borrowed from the library:

Here's the recipe I used:
Basic White Bread
1 cup milk
1 cup water
2 Tbls. sugar
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup solid veg. shortening (I used Crisco)
2 Tsp. salt
5-6 cups bread flour, divided (I used just over 5 cups)
Heat milk, water, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat to 105 - 115 degrees.
Remove pan from heat and sprinkle yeast over the liquid. Add shortening and let mixture stand 5 minutes. The shortening doesn't have to melt.
Place the salt and 2 1/2 cups of flour in bowl of a heavy duty mixer. Add yeast mixture and beat on Medium speed for 3 minutes. By hand, stir in about 2 1/2 cups more flour or enough to make a soft dough.
If kneading with a heavy duty mixer, follow manufacturer's directions.
To knead by hand, place the dough on a well-floured surface and shape it roughly into a ball.
Place your fingers on top, curled slightly over the ball, and pull the dough toward you. Then push dough away, using the palms of your hands. Turn dough 1/4 turn and repeat.
When you begin kneading, the dough will be sticky. Add flour a little at a time. You should not use more than 6 cups of flour, total.
Shape dough into a ball by pulling into a ball by pulling sides underneath to form a smooth top.
Place it, top side down, in an oiled bowl. Turn the dough right side up, thus coating it with a little oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
Let dough rise in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour. When it has doubled, the imprint will remain when you poke 2 fingers into the dough.
Grease the bottom and part way up sides of two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
Punch dough down, and place it on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough in half.
(I then placed them in their molds and pushed to "fit")
Let dough rise again until doubled, about 30 minutes. Test by pressing dough lightly. If your finger leaves only a slight imprint the dough is ready.
Heat oven to 375 degrees with oven rack in lower third. Bake loaves 35-45 minutes or until deep golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when thumped. I checked our bread after 22 minutes and it was done -- I don't know why???
Remove loaves from pans by loosening around the sides and lifting from the bottom. Cool on wire cooling rack. You must allow loaves to cool about 30 minutes before slicing.
I guess it turned out a little better than the last time. We're actually eating it instead of our labrador!
Our girls and I went to Antique Alley this week-end and bought a few "treasures". I hope to share some pictures tomorrow! Until then...........
Many Blessings,
Julie
P.S. I'm so sorry about the spacing. I've tried SEVERAL times to fix it, but it just won't!.

1 comment:
Your bread looks yummy!!!I can smell it from here.....the lighting in my house is weird too..all my pics come out yellow....weird.then I have to fix them in photoshop!
Hugs,
Robin
Post a Comment