Monday, February 2, 2009

New Addition to the Fam -- I mean Farm!

We needed something that the children could drive -- safely and slowly -- to help out. Meet "Rufus". He/It is named after my great, great-grandaddy. According to my grandaddy, Rufus, better known as "Rufus the Red" (because of his red hair) -- was a mean, old horse thief. Sometimes, he told it that they caught him and hung him...other times, people were too scared to try (I guess he was that mean)! My grandaddy was a character -- the sweetest man with the funniest sense of humor and the best stories! Rufus the Red was his grandfather and now our sad little, used-to-be mower is named in honor of one of the stories my grandaddy told me!As with most older things -- it needed some work, but it was a really good deal (says hubby!)

Baby girl learns to drive it....

and then, little man....but he only gets to drive in 1st gear -- reeeeeally slow.......and the next day, it's off to earn it's keep (with "Kermit" attached, carrying the boys)...
What do we do first, Daddy?This area is quite a mess. Alot of weeds have grown up and smothered trees.
Rotten wood from trees (and such) that were smothered and fallen.
Snakes? Probably, but the weather was still cool enough to make them a no-show, that day.
Thank you, Jesus! Really!
I took these pictures before running to town to the nursery and the grocery store. When I returned, it was dark. I don't have any pictures, yet, but it looks so much better. There's still work to do, so hubby wants me to wait for the after pics.

Hope that y'all have had a blessed week! Many Blessings ~~ Julie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Julie...I'm so envious of all that property you have there....I only have a postage size plot of land...LOL.

I am going to plant a container garden this year though.

Hugs,
Robin

Jenny said...

Wow! You guys have been busy! I can't wait to see the finished product. Have you guys had a really cold winter down there, too? Looking forward to the pics.

Mary L. Briggs said...

Rufus looks like he can get the job done! You guys are doing such a great job of getting your place fixed up!

I always love seeing all your pictures.

Paula said...

Yay for Rufus!! Looks like the kiddos were little bit apprehensive of driving at first... boy that will change!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Well Julie, it looks like Rufus may have a little more get up and go than your grandfathers old horse. Looks like the kids will have a lot of fun! Even though it is cold....be careful for snakes... they curl up under leaves and at the base of trees. I have picked up baby rattlesnakes when they are still in a sleepy state, NOT BY CHOICE. I have a lot of growth like in your photo and I was out one early cold morning clearing weeds when this happened. Fortunately, he was cold and droggy, I had thick gloves and I quickly saw what I accidentally picked up. So before you step or reach....look very carefully. Have fun in your spacious playground!! Blessings,Kathleen

Eggs In My Pocket said...

oops! me again, just realized who Rufus was. Well, maybe your Rufus will be more fun and nicer than your granddaddy' Rufus! blessings,Kathleen

Blog Widget by LinkWithin