This is outside my husband's shop -- the area that I've earmarked for our kitchen garden. It had all these mismatched plants that were kind of just thrown in the ground haphazardly. There just didn't seem to be
alot of "love" put into the house or it's grounds (hubby and son are still digging out pipes - metal and plastic, rusted-out garden tools and wire, old bottles, empty plastic, blue barrels, golf balls, etc. etc.) They have just worked so hard cleaning and clearing and there's still so much more out there. It's kind of sad and amazing how sometimes people treat their yards like garbage cans -- my dad did the same thing. So we've been through this before. Anyway.....

This was taken about a month ago -- a few plants already taken up!

The little ones pulling up some roots to take to the burn pile.

Knowing that I don't have a clue what I'm doing..... I knew that this wasn't going to be a huge garden. I started researching, a little, about square foot gardening. This book was recommended over and over. I've ordered it and sure hope that it provides some insight!

I also found this diagram, which hubby and I think is just too neat! Of course, this one is on a much grander scale than what we're planning -- but the idea is inspiring!

So we went out and staked it off -- with room for a hen house, in the corner, by the tree and a little chicken run for them. We'll put up chicken wire so they can't (?) get into the garden. That will have to wait -- I have
sooooooooooooo much to learn.

Then we laid out the boards for the bed framing.


Hubby built them and they filled them with soil.

The ground is very uneven and holds lots of water -- so there's
alot to fill in.

This was a full day.

The beds are built and filled with soil, now!!! I just need to finish getting my ducks in a row...

the rest of the seeds and plants and a plan! A plan.....
I'm off to cook supper and dream of fresh fruit and vegetables!
Many Blessings ~~ Julie
12 comments:
We are still in the process of getting our landscaping/raised gardens in place. It is a job!!
Julie... look at you! You told me you were not experienced in gardening! You are doing a great job. You need a pair of pink overalls to go with your pink boots! Can't wait to see your garden growing. Blessings, Kathleen
Wow! That looks GREAT! I'm gonna' have to get that Square Foot Gardening book ASAP. We are moving from our 6 acre farm into a much smaller little house w/hardly any land...Some serious downsizing going on, but I can't be without a garden! You have inspired me! I'm sure all that hard work you did will pay off when all of your little plants start popping up! How exciting!
I love the Square Foot Gardening....I am looking forward to seeing your garden grow! I agree with Kathleen....you absolutely need pink overalls to go with the boots!!
Blessings,
Pam
That will make a great space for a garden...I miss having one where I am at. cherry
You seem to be doing great preparing for your garden. I'm going to garden this year and have a lot to learn too! Good luck!
Julie, thank you so much for your post. Your sweet to ask.
Yes, my son did get his hat back. The day after, his instructor handed it to him and told him he found it on the shop floor along with his pen and pencil. Hmm.
And yes, dh is doing some better. He goes to the gastro tomorrow.
I am so wanting to put out a garden this yr but...
Hello Julie! Wow, you must be having wonderful weather to already be getting ready for your garden! It is looking fantasic! Can't wait to see your beauties blooming! Thinking of you!
Hugs,
Maryjane
Wow, your family has been so busy!
Your garden will be a success, I am sure. Vegetables will be growing in no time.
denise
We are going to do square foot gardening, too. You are ahead of us on constructing the beds. We've bought our boards and picked up the vermiculite we ordered. I'm really looking forward to this adventure and looking forward to reading about your experience with it, too!
I am loving your new garden and can't wait to see the fruit of your labor this summer!
That looks SO great, Julie! I'm going to try my hand at gardening this year, too, only on a much smaller scale. I plan to do four 4'x4' beds for veggies and maybe a few flowers. I'll say prayers that both of our gardens do well!
Post a Comment