Sunday, February 8, 2009

Herbs and Potatoes

I've gotten 2 things planted! Yay!!! The first, is this little kit of herbs from Lowe's. This is a first -- I sure hope it works! The little pots, sod pellets, herb seeds, and terrarium are included in the kit.You're supposed to put 2 tsp. water in each pot, but I had to use a little bit more. Wait 5 minutes...Add the seeds...

Put the lid back on ....
.... and put on the window sill .... wait, wait, wait....

After I did this, I went to check on the seed potatoes to see when they're supposed to go in the ground and WOW! The eyes had already sprouted A-L-O-T!!!! Yikes! So sweet hubby ran out and tilled up the bed we planned to use for the potatoes.
Look at the rows he made! Isn't he just the best? We were really kind of freaking out when we saw those eyes. I didn't realize that they're supposed to be in the ground already. We had 20 degree nights, for the next 2 nights -- hope that the frost didn't get to them.
It's been in the high 70's for the past few days. Our weather is just nutty!!! We've planted new potatoes and russet potatoes. There are 20 planted all together -- about 12 -15" apart.
I'm so excited! Nervous -- because I still don't know what I'm doing -- but excited!

If only I could talk to my "Pappy" -- my daddy's father. He was a gruff, tough, rough man (not at all like my other grandaddy) but he was a great gardener. Really great and he fed many people with his gifts. I spent most of my life in a small town and everyone knew my both of my grandaddy's. Pappy was the man who would give the less fortunate, money out of his wallet and left bags and bags of vegetables on your doorstep all the time. You should have seen his potato garden -- he grew lots of other things, but potatoes, I think, were his greatest crop. My mother didn't like him, nor he her, so I didn't get to see him very often -- but I have good memories. He also raised cattle and sometimes we (my brother, Daddy, and I) would go with him to feed them. Those cows scared me to death! My brother and I rode in the back of the truck and my daddy would blow the horn and the cows came running towards us. I would scooch off the tire hump I was sitting on and sit in the middle of the truck bed but that was of little comfort. Especially with my big brother saying all the things he was saying!!! Every little girl ought to have a big brother to tease her -- don't you think?!? I'm smiling just thinking about it!

Sorry that I rambled on.... hope that you've all had a great weekend!

Many Blessings ~~ Julie

5 comments:

BittersweetPunkin said...

I need to get my butt in gear here...I plan on planting in container gardens but its still sooooo cold here.

hugs,
Robin

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

WOW! I thought about planting potatoes, but am not sure if I have enough room. I am gettin ready to plant peas and lettuce in a couple of weeks.

Paula said...

Wow- that's a neat idea, Julie!! I may have to make a trip to Lowes....
I like that a whole lot better than the herb Chia-pet! LOL

Pam said...

Hi Julie-
What fun to see things begin to sprout and grow.
I really like the herb garden; don't you just love Lowes? I could spend whole days there, just looking and daydreaming!
Your Pappy sounds very much like my Daddy. His garden was his joy, and he fed his family and gave baskets and baskets of food to others. After we moved to our little corner of his farm, my girls would follow along after him, and learned more about gardening than I'll ever know! His garden spot is still here-as is his orchard, which we are going to be working to restore this spring...I can hardly wait!!
Blessings to you and yours, dear friend-
Pam
Pam

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I just love it when you ramble!!! Looks like you are becoming quite the gardener yourself! Hmmm, is that herbed potatoes I smell in the far off distance? {: Isn't it exciting to see things just ready to jump into the ground to be planted, just like those potatoes? Cant wait to see your harvest! Yay for you! blessings,Kathleen

Blog Widget by LinkWithin