Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Gustav

Well....... we're still having rain and under tornado watches, but it's better than it was.

Just after I posted the other night, things started to deteriorate (weather wise) and an old friend from down south came to stay with us for a few days.

I'm kind of sad right now. It's not just the weather -- I had forgotten why we'd lost touch with each other. It's been about 10 years since we've seen each other and about 6 since we talked on the phone. No, I called when Katrina hit to ask if she would like to come stay with us. I called again, with the same offer, but she'd already made other arrangements. Those didn't work out, so she called back and came to stay.

Well, it's been a bit since we've had guests and with the boxes everywhere, I felt really self-conscious..... but we were so happy to be able to help! So we ran to the grocery store to pick up extra food, but guess what........... there wasn't much there. YIKES! There were 2 loaves of bread and no hot dog or hamburger buns. We bought ground chuck (for hamburgers) and had to buy dinner rolls to use for buns (Kind of like White Castle.) Bought hoagie rolls for the sausage dogs. For breakfast, I just bought Hostess cupcakes, doughnuts, and Twinkies. (Our children thought they'd hit the jackpot! -- Such riches and good fortune they rarely ever experience!)

Well, her younger daughter remarked that she didn't want that "crap" about everything we had. Now, the reasons that we didn't have better food was that #1 there wasn't much choice in the grocery (we did have fruit, milk, juice, etc.) and #2 my 'friend' makes me feel VERY inadequate about every aspect of my life (cooking, crafting, home, etc, etc......) and I just really didn't want to give her any more ammunition -- so no, I didn't even try to cook a "real" dinner.

She and her younger daughter (older daughter was just fine!) were extremely disrespectful of our home, values, & feelings. My sweet husband said that he was so upset that he almost made them leave (This is SOOO not him.) But they just really seemed to be going out of their way. Another thing I learned is that they are "professional house guests" -- by that I mean, that they leave their home and go stay with other people for weeks or even months at a time. I was starting to get scared when she kept saying that she didn't want to go home. Truth is, though, that we're having worse weather than her town is. We're having some pretty bad flooding, storms, etc. It's still raining/storming out there. The storms took our electric out, for a few hours, the other night and she was so mad. (We don't have a generator, yet -- but hubby is on the case!)

After ALOT of stalling, all morning and much of the afternoon -- they've left. Relief, sadness, and guilt. Feelings of guilt for feeling relieved. My husband & older daughter have called a few times today, pleading for "good news". Y'all, we're not usually bad like this -- you'd have just had to have been here..... the stuff you'd have seen and heard....

I hope that I've not disappointed you too much with my ranting. Husband and I are both going to be praying for forgiveness -- trust me. Meanwhile........... Hanna, Ike, and Josephine -- you'd better just keep spinning in the Atlantic, 'cause the Gulf of Mexico is closed! *****************"I Will Praise YOU In this Storm" is in my head right now. (It's playing if you'd like to hear it just turn that volume up! -- but have those hankies ready! -- although, I must warn you, the music gets a little louder than I like, at times, during the song.) Still, I wonder WHO put that song in my head?!?! ;*)Winks!

Blessings, Julie

15 comments:

sheila from life @ #17 said...

I'm so sorry that a loving gesture on your part turned into such a draining fiasco...what a shame...

and don't feel guilty about being glad to see the front door swing shut behind those "guests"...

there are some relationships we just have to let go of...

Mrs. B said...

Oh Julie, how awful that you had to put up with that! I know a few people that have a special talent for making others feel inadequate. It's no fun! You shouldn't feel bad at all for feeling the way you do! I hope that you all stay safe and the weather lets up soon!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Do not feel bad...the Lord does not expect us to cast out pearls...feel Blessed that you are thankful for the little things,that you are gracious and are a great friend to others...

...lesson learned...separate yourself from those who do not appreciate your sentiment...you are a better person than I am Darlin...I am one of God;s children but I would've called her out ever so lovingly.
Hugs,
Robin

Jenny said...

Oh, how terrible of them to treat you that way and put you in a position to feel guilty. After all the time tyou took to take them into your home. Sadly, they're someonelse's trouble now, but out of your hair. You know what I think? It all comes back around, one way or another. :)

I hope the rain and storminess let up soon. You're in my prayers!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Gosh, Julie, I'm so sorry for the experience you all had! I've had that "feeling" before too! And I love that song...it always brings tears to my eyes....

Glad the scripture on my blog was just what you needed! I didn't know the situation when I read your comment...I'm behind on my reading my favorite blogs!

Stay safe and I hope you have a wonderful day!

~ Tammy ~

Pam said...

Dear Sweet Julie- I am glad that you and your dear family are safe.
I have to second what Sheila and Robin said- don't feel guilty; sometimes we do have to let go and separate.
You are a gracious person with a loving and tender spirit.
Hugs,
Pam

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Julie...actually I always close the comments on my older posts after a week or few days ...I do this for 2 reasons...1)If someone leaves a sweet comment on an older post I won't know about it so I won't be able to return the visit
...and 2)The spammers and scammers can't attach any ads or junk to any of my older posts in the comment section! It's very effective...in the year I've been blogging I think I've only had 2 comments that were from outside sources with questionable links!

Anonymous said...

Gosh sweetie....I am soo sorry that your good deads went un-felt! You are a good persone and DON'T let them stop you from being just that!!

Hope that things are better soon....
Many Blessings..........
Lori

Chris said...

Julie, your family did what was right & good. God will certainly bless that. Some folks are just not nice people, ever. It could be because they see what your family has beyond material possesions, love for one another, a god-centered home, a "true shelter" in crisis times, and they are convicted by it. So they lash out. As hard as might be, that family would smack dab in the middle of my prayer list!

Thanks for visiting Refining Life and catching up. Oh, and you can see a photo of a knot garden here: www(dot)show.me.uk/site/make/Tudors/ACT74(dot)html

Replace the (dot) with an actual dot.

sheila from life @ #17 said...

yes, eggplant keeps for a crazy long time...just another reason to love it, lol...

Elise said...

I can't believe someone could be so rude. Especially if you are helping them out. I am sorry you had to go thru this and you should not feel guilty for feeling relieved. Seriously. That's crazy.
Hope you have a good night.
Elise

Tamara Jansen said...

Hostess Twinkies, donuts and Cupcakes?! Those are the best :) We used to get those in our lunches when we were little for special treats!

Thank for visiting my site. We're building our office but trying to decorate with a bit of a European look so that's why the colors are a bit warmer than a regular office. See you again soon!

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Donuts and twinkies?! My kids would have loved it too.

KernowWitch said...

I thought you were very polite..... Your heart is good and your kindness was thrown back in your face. This person is not a friend and thankfully you have found out. This kinda thing makes you appreciate more the genuine friends you have....Hugs Chrissy x

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Bless your heart, Julie. I'm so sorry, but wipe your feet and go forward. No guilt.

I had a relationship like that some years ago. Loved her but every time we were together, I would come home sad and teary-eyed because of sharp critical comments that always left me feeling so inadequate and like a failure. I finally decided that a very gentle separation was the very best thing.

There were never any harsh woods. No hard feelings. Just distance.

... and I am a much happier girl for it.

You handled the situation with such grace.

Blessings,
Lea

Blog Widget by LinkWithin