I had my mind made up before we got them, that they should have the names of 1940's housewives, so I did a search of the most popular girls names of the 1920's. Baby girl, Little Man, and I chose these.
Hubby thinks it's a little silly and said he'll probably just be saying, "the yellow one with the white dots" -- he's so bad! They each have their own little personality and they are too funny!
I had Baby Girl write a description of each of them - this is so cute - here's what she had to say:
Patsy - The half-bald neck one with the most cream in her hair. Named after Grandmother, she makes alot of trouble (when there's too much peace, for her).
Bertha - She is the tallest of the group. She is the boss and knows it! (She's the first to "greet" you!)
Martha - She is the black one who does her own thing. She likes to eat and run.
Betty - She is the red and white one. She tries to be the boss but gets into fights with Bertha.
Annie - She is the sweet, brown, black, and gray one. She is small and follows Bertha around alot.
Irene - She looks like an eagle and is the fastest one. She sleeps alot, but when she's up - she's UP.
They are so cute with them! Little Man's favorite is Irene (because she looks like an eagle).
The first day, we let them roam the garden but the chicken hawks were circling and making us nervous. The chicken run had to have extra fencing put up, because the girls are small enough to fit in-between the slats.
While Baby girl, Little Man, and I were putting this extra fencing up (I know, it's kind of ugly).....
a man with a truckload of clay and sand showed up....And let me tell you, Little Man was thrilled! The only one more excited was Will!
He jumped to the top of the pile and started digging! If he could only work a shovel....
Well, it's not gonna move just looking at it....I'm going to go build some more character, with the children...
But at least the girls have a little more breathing room. We'll take down the little lattice work gate, when they're big enough to roam the whole chicken run. Yeah, Big Bertha isn't happy about that gate AT ALL.
Say, "Bye!", girls! Ugh! They're so rude!
Well, there's quite a mess outside with the storms that came through, last night. We've got another "pond" in the backyard because the dirt's in the way. Hope that wherever you might be, you've been having wonderful weather!Many Blessings,
Julie
P.S. To you other Cowboys fans - it was fun while it lasted, huh? Now we can unite in support of the Saints?!?! Who's your favorite team?









7 comments:
They are soooo sweet!!! You are going to love them I just know it. They are so fun to watch. We have the same waterer and I love it. I only have to swish it around once a day to get the hay out so they can drink. I am so excited for you and your family!
Your run looks great. You should of seen ours when we first started. The poor chickens were patient with us as we built a coop and new run for them.
Watch those chicken hawks! They are sneaky. I am still scared to let mine out but I do so they can stretch a little.
Perfect names!!!
Darling girls!
Personally, that's what I call our chickens too.
One of our friends calls her chickens.. 'the ladies'.
We found that if we tied heavy duty nylon cording in a zig-zag pattern across the top of the chicken pen, that the hawks and owls couldn't get to the chickens. With the wide wing span those birds have, they can't fit through the lattice of the cording. We haven't had one problem since we did this to our pen. Saw it on "dirty jobs". Good luck!
Hey girl, come on by for a chance to win the apron I made for Valentine's day!!
Congratulations on the girls--they are beautiful!
Blessings,
Pam
p.s. Way to go Saints!!!
Oh, they are so cute! So glad you got chickens and yes....I name all of mine! Sarah, Clara, and Bella, are my green egg layers, and then there is Isabella, Beatrice, and Pearl.. and the names go on! Enjoy them. blessings,Kathleen
Chickens are great! We had to put chicken wire on the top of our run due to the neighborhood birds and animals! I hope your girls stay safe from the predators!
We can't tell our chickens apart... except one that we named Maxine. She looks just a little different. Love your choice of names!!
Fresh Eggs are the best!
Oh, Julie- I loved meeting your girls!! I think you all did a great job with the names, too... they are perfect.
Miss Irene looks like one of my girls.. sistas, maybe? *LOL*
Post a Comment