Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Few Things Happening at the Farm

Things have been freezing (below, actually) around here. Like our pond...

Come closer....


Little Man is VERY intrigued by this.


A few days before, it was much more frozen - I waited too late to get really good pictures.
He just loves to step on the ice - I don't love for him to do this, though!

Did I ever tell/show you that the little one's and I finished painting the garden fence?

There's supposed to be broccoli all in there but the rabbit ate it all. UGH!
I told hubby that I'm going to shoot him, (the rabbit, of course!) next time and hang him out like Mussolini as a warning to all his other little bunny buddies!  He just said, "You go, Little Mama!"  And so we're going to look for me a 22 handgun, soon!  I think it will be easier than grabbing a "rifle" for things like this... snakes, rabbits (they'll only get hurt if they get in the garden, again), raccoons (apparently, they're fixin' to become a problem when we get the hens), the mole.... hmmmmm, what else?  I guess I'm going to have to become Calamity Jane?!

Don't you think it gives it a more "finished" look?  Plus, hopefully, it will add to the longevity!

But I saved the best for last....  Hubby and Little Man made us a new coffee table!
Here is a picture of the one we've been using for years. It was a former dining table with the legs cut down and painted.  It's been great, but we needed something with more storage. * Please ignore the Christmas pillows (they're put up, now) and the school books (I was working on lesson plans).

**Hubby also asks that you please ignore the flooring - he really, REALLY doesn't like it. White carpet is really impractical in the country - which would explain why our carpet's not as white as it should be!**
Anyway, we were going to make a stuffed ottoman (a big, square one!) but having time to think about it (while working on other projects) we decided that it wouldn't be practical, for us, either.  We use this area to play board games, plan school, pay bills, draw, do schoolwork, eat, snack, etc., etc.  So we really needed a hard topped table.  I told hubby what I wanted and he did it, again!  I wish I would've gotten pictures of the drawers on the other side that holds pens, colors, etc.!  The bottom shelf is for holding baskets of work (so it doesn't have to sit on top) and board games, etc.   But I told Hubby that I can already see our grandbabies playing hide-and-go-seek, there!

We may be adding to the brood around here, this weekend!  I'm nervous and excited all at once!
Y'all stay warm!
Many Blessings,
Julie

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I really like the new table...but especially LOVE those bookshelves...wow are they amazing!!!!

Kerin said...

A big pat on the back! Awesome job guys !
Totally love how the garden enclosure turned out too.
Things around your home are looking fantastic!!
I can relate with hating a certain carpet ! On my list (which is ever growing longer) restoring the wood floors to our home is right at the top. Someday.
Have the best day!

Chris said...

Hi Julie!

A frozen pond? Brrrr! The garden fence looks great. Sorry about your broccoli. With us, it's pocket gophers!

Seriously love the new coffee table! I am so glad the Hunky-Handy-Hubby is teaching his wonderful skills to little man. (Some day, he'll be a H-H-H, too!)

Stay warm, Chris

Mandie said...

Hi Julie!! I took a look at your Christmas tree and I LOVE it. Looks great. How wonderful to bring a little bit of the outdoors in.

I love the coffee table! He did a great job. And it is nice and big to do all of the things you all want to do on it. Beaufitul to boot!

The garden fence is so pretty. We put one up around ours but we didn't paint it. I am thinking we should of :(. Yours looks so pretty!

We had rabbits but ended up getting rid of them. They were not friendly and all they did was poop and eat. Plus they started getting out and chasing our chickens. I knew it was time for them to go, hehe. I love my chickens!

Your house looked wonderful during Christmas! I love all of the lights. I didn't post the pics. I took of the kids because I am a little nervous to put them on line. I guess I watch too much T.V., tehe. They turned out good though. We took them by the lake and the water was in the back ground.

Hope you have a blessed weekend!!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

WAIT ELMER (JULIE) FUDD!!!! Before you shoot that poor hungry wabbit and wind up putting holes in your fence.....you might just place chicken wire all around the outside of the fence. This is how I keep every thing out of my garden and if strung and wired nicely, the chicken wire is not too noticable. You have me curious.......what are you adding to your brood??? Love your bookshelves full of books and the table is lovely! blessings,Kathleen

Paula said...

Wow- the table is awesome, Miss Julie!! And I love the color of the garden fence- that is wonderful.
I had to chuckle over you and the gun... when we first got Daisy and Edie, our sheep, they were very small and we had stray dogs running through here all the time... I actually started wearing a holster with a gun in it because I knew I wouldn't get to it in time if dogs came through the fence... one day I forgot to take it off one day before Hubby got home from work, and when he saw it he just BUSTED OUT laughing at me! (I guess it's because he knows I can't hit the broad side of a barn! LOL)

Farmchick said...

Hi~out blog hopping and found my way here. I enjoyed reading through some of your posts. Great coffee table~looks perfect there. Hope you can stop on over to my farm for a visit. :)

Jenny said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, Julie! You guys have done such awesome work! I love the book shelf and the paint on the fence is the finishing touch. Do you have any chicken wire on the inside of the fence to keep the critters out?

Soon,
Jenny

Blog Widget by LinkWithin