Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Brrrrrr.....

It's been wonderfully cold, here, lately.  Which is a rarity for Louisiana, even in January.  Still, much has been going on.  The children and dear husband have been working outdoors moving the sandy clay, filling in the places in the yard that are holding water and replenishing the garden beds with pinestraw.
I've stayed indoors more than they and managed to finish this quilt top. Do you remember this? Yep, I really dropped the ball, didn't I?  Maybe I'll get around to completing the quilt when our first grandchild is graduating....     Maybe?
I've been "playing" with the camera - still trying to figure it out.  I think this is an ongoing project.... one I'm afraid I'll never master.  I took this one afternoon when the sun popped out (and quickly went down!).  Don't you just love Dum-Dum suckers? I remember getting them from the doctor when I was very little.   
I've baked chocolate chip cookies to enjoy with hot chocolate and molasses cookies to have with hot apple cider.
I planted some lettuce!  I wasn't going to try it again - especially after reading that it's more of a northern crop.  But I read about a woman from east Texas that has much luck with hers so I studied a little more and found that the leafy varieties have more of a chance than the head lettuce.  We'll see???
To earn a little spending money, the children dug out some brick found on the property.  We might lay a pathway in our little garden, this week-end.
The girls and I went to The Hen House, a little antique store (Miss Shirley calls it "junk-tique" and she is just the sweetest, most down-to-earth woman that I've ever met! Love her!)  I got this canister and bread box that dates back to the 1940's.  Aren't they the sweetest? I wonder if my grandmothers had sets just like them???? 
And this cut glass cake stand.  It didn't have it's lid, but won't it be pretty with cupcakes or cookies stacked atop?
I also found some wonderful vintage children's books, that I'll have to share with y'all, soon. 
I think you'll love them as much as I do!

But today, I'm off to read aloud Miracles on Maple Hill, again, with the children.  Maybe we'll share some hot cocoa and chocolate chips cookies......
What are y'all reading or doing to pass these wonderful winter days?

Many Blessings to each of you,
Julie

7 comments:

Mandie said...

Hi Julie, you've done a great job with the picture taking. I love the vintage canisters, sooo cute. Hey you won my giveaway!!! Email me your address and I will get it sent off to you as soon as possible. My email is mandie2281@yahoo.com

It has been cold here too but it snowed, eesh. We have been out of school since Friday! I have loved having the kids home so that is a bonus. I am ready for the snow to melt though so we can get out fo the house a bit.

Well, I will be waiting to hear from you. Have a great week!!!

Kerin said...

Love, Love, the cannisters ! And the cake stand !
There aren't any antique shops where we live.
There is a co-op, a really old store with all hand made items in. It's pretty fun to go see what new things are in there.
I think the quilt top is gorgeous, and I am SO impressed with all the work you've done.
I would love to have your molasses cookie recipe too. I have found a few molasses cookie recipes that I have tried, but they never meet my expectations.
You are SO lucky that you can plant anything at all right now !! Our garden in still under two feet of frozen snow. But, it's February now, and you know what that means ! Next month is March ... and SPRING !
Have that best day !

Devon said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog... I was afraid I might ruffle some feathers... but I guess I just get so upset sometimes (what spurred me onto my venting was my pregnant cousin who made a comment of not having an "annoying belly" yet. she is on baby #2, by the way). Anyway, I am sorry to hear about your miscarriages--but praise God that it brought you closer to Him... and also that He blessed you with 3 wonderful children! I hope someday to have the same!

I love your picture of the dum-dums in the jar! And the great finds from the Hen House! I love old stuff like that!!

tincanlily said...

We have been having cold weather too, about 37 degrees today! It has been much colder, so I will not complain! I am still redecorating, sounds much grander than it is. Sometimes, it just involves moving things from room to room. I baked brownies and scones yesterday. Blogging, reading blogs and just plain trying to be more creative. That is how I have been spending the last few days!
denise

Kerin said...

Wow ! Thanks so much for the Molasses cookie recipe. I am going to try it today !
That is, after I MAKE myself work on my son's room a bit more !
How are you decorating your sons room?
My son is almost 21, and so he won't really be living at home all that much longer.
So, I am decorating his room in a cabin-outdoor theme.
I feel like it will work for him, and for a guest room, and finally for my husbands office.
Have the best day !

Eggs In My Pocket said...

So glad you are enjoying the cold weather. It has rained here a lot, love it! and is warmer. I just love those vintage canisters! When it gets really cold here, I make a large pot of soup and do a lot of stitching! Stay warm! blessings,Kathleen

Paula said...

I love all your wonderful finds, Miss Julie- especially the cannister set!
I've been spending my winter days mending Hubby's blue jeans and some other sewing projects, organizing my pictures on the computer (LOOONG overdue for that) and trying some new recipes. Oh and getter fatter all the time! By the way- the pictures of the Dum Dums and the cookies made my mouth water! *LOL*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin