This color is more like it -- the settings on your camera make a big difference, don't they?!?
And then, this is the rest of my "decor". Some leaf garland with orange twinkle lights entwined.
With the lights off..... it has a sweet glow...
Now -- the apple pies. I have never made fried pies. I've wanted to for the longest, but I've been too afraid. Yep, afraid -- of frying pies! Sad, I know. Our sweet friend (and I say "our" because she visits so many of us), Pam, made them and she was just so inspiring and encouraging that when I saw this recipe -- I jumped in. Well, not "jumped" -- it took me almost 2 months (and the fear of apples ruining) to try it, but...............
This is from my Gooseberry Patch calendar! If you can't read the recipe, here it is:Apple Hand Pies
2 apples, cored, peeled, & diced 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon 2 Cups all-purpose flour 1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening 1/2 cup cold water 1 cup oil
** Stir together apples, sugar, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes, until apples are tender. Remove from heat; set aside.

** Combine Flour and salt; cut in shortening. Stir in water to a dough consistency.
**Roll out on a floured surface to 1/8" thickness. Cut with a 6" round cookie cutter (Now, I don't have a 6'' cookie cutter, so I used the top of an old margarine container. then I switched to the top of a coffee container, which is 4", when I realized that this wasn't going to be enough dough). Place 1 Tbls. of apple mixture in center of each circle. Sprinkle edges with water; fold circle in half. Press around edges with a fork to seal; set aside. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.
** Fry pies, a few at a time, for 2 to 3 minuteson each side, until golden.
** Drain on paper towels (I used these baking racks with paper towels underneath) and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes 12 pies. ** Well, I didn't, but I'm sure I did something wrong. Don't I always?!?!? ** It did make 2 of the 6" pies and 10 - 4" pies.
And, last but NOT least............ run to the video store this week-end or soon, VERY SOON, and rent this movie! I can't say enough good things about it -- you're going to need to hunker down and pay attention. Be ready to be filled with so many emotions -- I know that we were. It is really an excellent movie and everyone should watch it. It's truth, it's frightening, but it leaves you with hope......... if we're willing to stand up and speak!
Have a blessed week-end, everyone!
**Roll out on a floured surface to 1/8" thickness. Cut with a 6" round cookie cutter (Now, I don't have a 6'' cookie cutter, so I used the top of an old margarine container. then I switched to the top of a coffee container, which is 4", when I realized that this wasn't going to be enough dough). Place 1 Tbls. of apple mixture in center of each circle. Sprinkle edges with water; fold circle in half. Press around edges with a fork to seal; set aside. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.
** Fry pies, a few at a time, for 2 to 3 minuteson each side, until golden.
** Drain on paper towels (I used these baking racks with paper towels underneath) and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes 12 pies. ** Well, I didn't, but I'm sure I did something wrong. Don't I always?!?!? ** It did make 2 of the 6" pies and 10 - 4" pies.
And, last but NOT least............ run to the video store this week-end or soon, VERY SOON, and rent this movie! I can't say enough good things about it -- you're going to need to hunker down and pay attention. Be ready to be filled with so many emotions -- I know that we were. It is really an excellent movie and everyone should watch it. It's truth, it's frightening, but it leaves you with hope......... if we're willing to stand up and speak!
Have a blessed week-end, everyone!Many Blessings,
Julie

11 comments:
Julie, I just love your autumn decorating. It is so simple and elegant. I especially like the twinkle lights. I could use them year round.
... and those fried pies look great! I will definately be trying those. They not only look yummy but so pretty as well. I hope mine look as nice.
Blessings & joy,
Lea
My MIL makes fried apple pies and they're so yummy! I could actually eat all of them, they're so good. Like you though, I'm afraid of messing something up, so I've never tried them. I've stuck to my apple pie recipe and eaten most of it instead, lol.
Your decorations are beautiful! I've never thought to decorate for fall, and I'd also need to find some room.
Blessings for your week!
Love the decorations, Julie! And those pies... I can almost smell them from here!!
Hi Julie,
I stumbled onto your blog somehow and I'm so glad I did! My grandmother used to make fried apple pies when I was young and I love them! I haven't had one since, but now I will have to try your recipe. It sounds so good!!!
Love your decorations, as well. Please feel free to drop over anytime and say hello. I always enjoy meeting new people.
Hey! Thanks for coming by my blog and I hope you will come back! Now, for the important stuff... those apple pies look yummers! I have been craving apple desserts lately and you are inspiring me to act on that!
Hi Julie! Just wanted you to know that I made your apples tonight as a side for supper. They were soooo good! I doubled the batch and they are all gone. Thanks for sharing.
Next time, however, I want to make the little pies. I will just be so happy if I can actually make them for myself.
Hugs,
Lea
Now I am hungry Sweet Julie! Boy do these apple tarts look sooooooo yummy! Thanks for the recipe! Love you fall pictures to! Have a wonderful week sweetie!
Hugs,
Maryjane
hmmm, I wonder...do you think baking them would work just as good?
signed,
always trying to lose 20 lbs :)
I just remembered I promised to send you some pixs of that book! I'm so sorry...I will get to in the next couple of days
Julie, your home looks lovely.
And those pies.....I can almost smell them and now I'm starving!!!!! They look sooooo good!
Blessings,
Pam
So many good things on this post! Maybe a trip to the video store this weekend. :)
Post a Comment