In the last post, I said that I may have something "shockingly, funny" to tell you in this post, but..... then I started to think that maybe I'm just silly (or stupid?!?)
I know, I know! What's "shocking" is that I don't drink and I don't buy alcohol at all. I'm not condemning anyone that drinks (unless you drink and drive or you're expecting....) I'm only saying that I don't. I did, a little, as a teenager because my mother made me (loooooooooong story) but I hated it and I haven't in forever. A bit is because I'm a Baptist, but I know many a Baptist who drink alcohol, so that's not it -- not the whole of it, anyway. There are many reasons, why I don't, but one of the main reasons is that I come from a family full of alcoholics (on both sides). Enough said?The "funny" thing would be that we had to go to another town, to purchase this liquor. I was like a maniac trying not to be noticed by anyone. You know how well that always works out, huh? I'm sure that I was making more of a scene trying NOT to be seen instead of just walking up and taking it off the display. Ugh! My husband had to pick it up, for me -- I would have just knocked the whole display down. Can you imagine?
Now, why would such a nut buy liquor when one doesn't want anyone to assume she's drinking it? Well, because I read that you can make your own homemade vanilla extract. Seriously! I could NOT believe it! I was sooooooooo excited. I always buy the cheapest stuff, because I'm not spending almost $6 on just 4 oz at the grocery store!!!! Then I read that the cheap stuff I buy contains some of the same ingredients that they put in pressure treated wood!!!! YIKES! Way to go, Julie! As my Daddy would say, "you're just eaten up with the 'smarts', girl!"
So after looking up about a gazillion recipes..... they all include... booze! Vodka was the most popular, but the superstore didn't have it, so we had to settle for the 2nd most popular choice...rum. Next, we, of course, needed these:
Now, if I'd had the time.... I would've ordered them off the internet and saved a bundle. However, feeling a time crunch (to have some extract ready for some of my Christmas baking), I needed it PDQ! Our local Brookshire's just so happened to have some, so our oldest daughter ran by and picked it up on her way home!
A few of the recipes called for special jars, but one just used these -- plain old Mason jars! Yay! Here's the recipe, as I recall it (to be safe, you may want to do a goodsearch.com or google)!
Homemade Vanilla Extract:
2 Cups Vodka or Rum
8 Vanilla Beans -- cut in half and split (down the middle)
*Just cut & split the vanilla beans and put them in the jar. Pour the 2 cups of liquor over the beans. (***Warning*** Rum stinks and I got woozy!) Cover and seal. Put in a cool, dark spot. (I put them in the pantry cupboard) Shake them, daily, for 30 days.
They're supposed to be ready in 30 days, but can sit for much longer -- even years. That's what I'm counting on! 'Cause we've got a big bottle of Rum in the cupboard and I'm not planning on doing that, again, anytime soon!!! I started 2 so that I could go ahead and start using 1 bottle at the end of the 30 days and the other could just keep extracting. **Oh! I almost forgot! -- You're supposed to strain the beans from the liquid -- maybe through a coffee filter. Then you just add the beans back to the original jar and fill 'er up (2 cups) again. You can do this over and over (so the recipes say) until the extract no longer turns dark brown. THEN..... you can take the beans out, let them dry out and add to sugar to make a vanilla sugar. (I've got a little of that going, too, with half of a bean!)
The picture above is what the extract looks like after just 5 days.
If anyone's tried this, before, please tell me that it turned out VERY, VERY well! Please?
Many Blessings, Julie

5 comments:
LOL! This is funny, cause I've had to do this to make a Kentucky nut bread. It calls for Kentucky bourbon. I dont' drink, been there, done that, no thank you.
My dh went to anther town to get it also. I haven't made it in awhile, maybe this yr, I'll get up enough nerve to purchase some to make it.
This made me laugh about going out of town, {: but what a great idea on making vanilla. Vanilla is so expensive. I feel the same way as you do about alcohol. I don't drink, however, I buy beer because I have a garden book(Jerry Baker) that uses beer mixed with other things as kind of a booster for plants. And wouldn't you know it.... as I buy it, I always run into someone from church! I need to bring my garden book with me as proof, but they will probably think, I am using it as an excuse. lol. Have a good weekend, blessings, Kathlen
LOL! at least you didn't run into your preacher :)
I have some homemade vanilla extract in the cupboard right now...one year, DH's boss passed along a HUGE bottle of Grey Goose that a business contact had given him and since we don't really have more than a glass of wine once in a blue moon, I was at a loss about what to do with that monster-sized bottle of vodka...and I'm too cheap to pour it down the drain...
honestly, I looked at the huge bottle when it came home to us and said "Does the man think we have a drinking problem?"...
so, homemade vanilla :)
LOL ~ you have got me laughing myself silly. That is EXACTLY what I would have done too. I was raised by a good old-fashioned Missionary Baptist preacher and my husband was raised in an old-fashioned southern Penecostal church. There is no way I could even walk down the liquor aisle much less purchase any. However, now you've got me wanting to try that vanilla recipe. Or maybe I'll just buy some from you and you can send it in a brown paper wrapped box! LOL
On a different but similar subject, my sister is the husband of a missionary baptist pastor in a small North Carolina town. Twice a year, she visits my mom in Tennessee where she buys her unclothing. She said she just can't buy them in her small town because everyone knows them and she doesn't want anyone to even imagine what she's wearing under her clothes. LOL
I sure have enjoyed your post. We are more kindred spirits than I even imagined!
Blessings,
Lea
Oh, Julie- this made me laugh so hard my sides hurt..
Funny story (but true)- when I was under the weather last week, my Daddy called to check on me, and after I told him how I felt, he said, "I might have just the thing for you." (keep in mind, I was raised in a strict Southern Baptist home.) He comes to the house and brings me a little mason jar and says, "here- mix this with some honey and lemon and then go get under the covers for a few hours." I swear to you it's moonshine. I have never had anything that smells and tastes like this in my life. (yes, I did partake of it...) *HICCUP*
I guess he just keeps it for medicinal purposes.. tee hee
Post a Comment