Saturday, November 29, 2008

Hope that Everyone ...

had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We celebrated not only Thanksgiving, but also our 21st anniversary, on Thursday. Happy Anniversary, Sweetie!
21 years ago, our wedding day was the day after Thanksgiving. I was on Thanksgiving break (senior year in high school) and a few family members had come into town for celebrating Thanksgiving with family. My dress was homemade by a sweet little woman. Alot of bartering went on -- my Daddy and fiance cut, busted, delivered firewood in exchange for the flowers. It was very small and my husband's brother and sister served as our attendants. See our pastor? He was actually retired, but we asked him to marry us. He married my parents and grandparents (as well as a couple of my aunts and uncles!) His name was Bro. Alfred Mitchell and he was one of the sweetest, God fearing men I have ever been blessed enough to meet. Look at that sweet smile on his face -- isn't he just an angel? He is with our Lord, now -- it's going to be wonderful seeing him, again, one day!
There are so many stories behind our getting married -- like having to have 2 blood tests done (the first one expired -- this was when you had to have a blood test -- when did they stop that?!?!?) and almost not being able to get our marriage license because the courthouse was closing (it was great living in a small town where you grew up!) Having to go to the Shreveport police department on our wedding day (in the rain - in pink sponge rollers!) to press charges against the women who stole our debit card and money....... whew! It just goes on and on....... but I guess it was meant to be! Memories....
I'll be back in a couple of days with the finished (I hope) pictures of the outside of our house! Until then....
Many Blessings,
Julie
P.S. That's "our song" playing ("I'll Be Over You" by Toto) and "Too Young" by Nat King Cole just sounds like another song that reflects alot of what we heard at the time (I was 17; he was 19) and it's one of my favorite songs! Hope that y'all will like them, too!
**Edit** Elise asked if they had debit cards back then. Yes and no -- they weren't called debit cards (I forget what they were called?) but you used them to withdraw from (and make deposits to) the ATM's. And, yes, they had ATM's back then! Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't thinking when I called it a "debit" card! ;*)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! What a lovely wedding picture! Your wedding dress looks beautiful - that sweet little woman who made it must have been an excellent seamstress. The drape is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Teacup Lady (Sandy)

Sit A Spell said...

Had fun scrolling down your blog...the house look great! It's a blessing to live in the country.

Jenny said...

Yay! What a joyous time for the whole family! I was going to comment yesterday, and totally forgot. Please forgive me. Your pictures are gorgeous! Your daughters look just like you. Are you guys going to have a family picture for Christmas? (hint, hint, :))

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Happy Aniversary! You have a lot to be thankful for. blessings, Kathleen

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Wow! What a wonderful week you had!
Congrats~

Robin Beck said...

Happy Anniversary!
Yes, I am 44 and a grandparent. I became "grandma" just about 7 years ago when I was 37! I have two grandsons (one born just last July) and a granddaughter is on her way. I too love the name Noel-My daughter Ronnie would have named her Noel even if she was born in the summer! We are very excited about her arrival.
Boy, scrolling down and looking at all your photos is amazing...You all have done so much work! The house looks wonderful!
Have a great week,
Robin~♥

Elise said...

Wow, 21 years!! Happy Anniversary!! And they had debit cards back then?? I was 9 and I must say I don't remember my mom having a debit card.
Elise

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Hi Julie! Happy, happy anniversary! What a blessing to be married for 21 years. I just loved reading your story. It's precious.

Hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday. Thank you for all your sweet words on my journal. You just can't know how much they meant to me.

Now I'm off to catch up on what you've been up to!

Smiles,
Lea

BittersweetPunkin said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!
I hope it was a GREAT one!
hugs,
Robin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin