Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Painting the House -- Part 2 -- We've Finished!

Well, except for the back door (but it has to be replaced, along with the surrounding frame -- due to lots of water damage -- it's gonna have to wait.....) but other than that, we're finished!

This is how we had to paint the dormer windows and hubby finished the side-ends. It was so scary!Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this is NOT safe!Hubby spent 2 days in here -- I only spent 1. That cat-walk grating in the bottom of the bucket put a million little bruises all over my legs (I'm such a girl!) and we were both so sore.

It took a while, but the dormers got finished. Now, about that door.....
Hubs is already on it!
After staining and sealing both sides, he hung the front door (with little man's supervision, of course!)
Ta-Da!!!But this shop door was making me crazy! So I asked the lady in Home Depot if they had anything that would paint over a metal door? Hubs didn't think they would....
but they do! So if you ever have a metal door that needs painting, this is your primer! Don't give up!So I set to work priming and then painting the shop doors and here's the big one! We already had plans to frame it out, but I asked if he would stain the frame (to tie the look of the house.)
And, so, he did!But then he decided that the dormer windows needed a strip of stained wood above them, too. So back to the workshop and then to install. And here's where it gets funny.... aggravating, but funny.I asked how he's gonna put the wood strip up (since that cherry-picker thing was returned looooong ago.) He says that he'll just crawl on the roof from his 6-foot ladder. *** Alarm bells going off!!!*** So I begin the pleading and gently suggesting that he use his new ladder (which is like 24 feet tall!) No, no, no -- that won't work, he tells me. After asking, again, if he was sure and he sighs, he does it his way. Only to get stuck on the roof! Yes, ladies, that's my man....
Julie, help! WHAT am I supposed to do? He discusses rope and a couple of other insane ideas and then asks if I'll go get his ladder? Which ladder, you ask? His new ladder. The one that I suggested to BEGIN with!!!! It only weighs about 400lbs and it's been about never since I lifted weights, so I had to ask baby girl to help me. We were quite the pair! Hubby is asking me to hurry since it was getting cold up there. Hmmm, cold, are ya? As I'm extending this massive ladder, I brake, deciding that we needed a picture. No! No, we don't need a picture, Julie! Nobody wants to see this. Yes, we do, baby. YES, we do!
After rescuing hubby, he finishes the job. He was right about it needing the strip!It ties the top and bottom together....Then, he immediately begins hanging Christmas lights. Oh, look.... with the ladder, the NEW ladder.This is probably the only close-up of the shutters that he built. We just love them!!!And, we're finished! Until we get on that back door...... maybe, this spring?
He wants to work on the shutters for the carport this week. Maybe we aren't done after all?Thanks for looking, y'all! We hope that you'll like what we've done?
I'm off to finish the new stockings that I've been working on.....
Many Blessings,
Julie

13 comments:

cherry said...

I love your dormers! Your home is soooo pretty! Good job...everything looks awesome. cherry

Paula said...

Wow!!! That looks awesome, Julie!! The wood trim around the door and windows looks great!

Cheri said...

Julie,

I have been following along on your house transformation and it looks really great. What took you guys a matter of a few months would have taken us a couple years. Not that my hubby can't do things, he is really very handy, he just gets tired of it, needs a break (like a month long or more) and I have to start the motivation process all over again to get him going.

Jenny said...

BEE-U-TEE-FUL! What a wonderful jobs you guys did? Framing the shop door and the dormers really looks nice! Now show us a pic of the house lit up at night. Looks terrific.

Jenny said...

Btw, where did you get your front door!?! I LOVE IT!

Rue said...

Hi Julie :)

The house looks beautiful!! I'm so happy for you that you're finished :)

The pictures of your hubby cracked. me. up. ;)

hugs,
rue

Anonymous said...

You have a great house! You'll have to share some pixs of the lights at night! All of it looks great though. I gotta admit, I hate heights and I felt my heart ponding just looking at the pixs of your hubs up in that thing painting so high. Scary.

Pam said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Jenny said...

Hey! I have a couple of questions for you. Did your door come with the handle or was it purchased seperately? And do you know if you can still buy those old ringers for doors that you turn with your hand? My grandmother use to have one and I think they're such a neat reminder of the psat. I think I'll look at Restorationhardware.com and see if they carry them.

Have a blessed week, Julie!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

I agree, that looked too scary for me! Your house looks so beautiful. So well worth the hard work! blessings, Kathleen

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Wow Julie ~ what a difference a little paint can make! The garage door looks amazing. All that effort was certainly worth it. Now your home looks so warm and welcoming.

I'm just as happy as can be for you!

Christmas blessings,
Lea

BittersweetPunkin said...

Oh WOW Julie...everything looks just great. How wonderful..so nice to see that things are coming along!

Hugs,
Robin

Elise said...

Your home looks so beautiful, Julie!! Can I borrow your husband!?!?!
Elise

Blog Widget by LinkWithin