A couple of weeks ago, I received my new Country Living magazine!!!! I was flipping through (until I have time to really go through it!) and saw this piece of art from Pottery Barn. Now it said that it was $400. No! It must be a typo.....but, then again, this is Pottery Barn....let me check this out......
Nope, no mistake. It is, indeed, $400. Well, $399.oo for 50" square. Here it is. Now even if that were anywhere in the universe near my budget, as much as I like it, I just couldn't.....So I decided to try to "knock it off." Now, the original artwork is wood pieces, but hubby's a little busy with work and all and I've got these 2 blank walls (on either side of the fireplace) staring at me (actually, I have more than that, but these were really bugging me!!!) So I waited 'til Hobby Lobby put their canvases on sale and went by and picked up 2 of them. These are 2' x 3' and I think that we paid around $15 for the pair.
So I got out my crooked yardstick, a ruler, a couple of pencils, pink eraser.......
and measured and drew the lines.............. this seemed to take a million hours!
Now it was time for the brushes, paint, (yay, more painting!!!) paint tray, and masking tape. I chose dark colors to match the colors that will be in our home.... I think....
Well, this is it - one of them, anyway. The other is almost identical -- I like symmetry to the point of boredom, at times. I hope that you're not too disappointed. Sorry that the picture didn't turn out; I just could not get a good picture... I'm not really happy with them, but I can't put my finger on it. They're flat, for one thing. They need something, but I'm not sure what??? Texture? Antique-ing? If y'all have suggestions, PLEASE share 'cause I'm really at a loss. I haven't been able to think, clearly, about it or even decorate properly (hence the mess in the picture, below). Heeeeeeelllllllllppppppppppp.....????
Okay...........now for something good -- I think?!? These were our old porch lights -- rusted and broken. See that one over to the left, it stayed upside-down all the time! Isn't that funny?
Hubby trashed them...... we've been donating the light fixtures we've re-placed but not these.Broken or not, I could see someone shabby-ing these up with some white paint or painting them a bright turquoise or..... y'all are just so creative!
These are the new ones! Home Depot only had 1 of the original ones that we had chosen for the porch, so we went to Lowe's and had to start over, again, with the choosing! Lowe's had more, anyway. Funnily enough, these even cost less! Yay!!!!

These are the new ones! Home Depot only had 1 of the original ones that we had chosen for the porch, so we went to Lowe's and had to start over, again, with the choosing! Lowe's had more, anyway. Funnily enough, these even cost less! Yay!!!!
We really like them, though. The five of us chose, together! We feel like it "goes" with the look we're after.
But the front door does NOT -- so we're off to pick up our front door, today. Yep, hubby won and we ordered a front door from Home Depot. It came in, the other day and this is hub's first day off, in a while, and we're goin' to town!!!! We have to pick up more supplies and run to the big grocery store.
Y'all, thanks for stopping by to visit! In my next post, I may have something shockingly, funny to tell you........we'll have to see if I can get my nerve up, today, to go through with it.....
Many Blessings, Julie

12 comments:
is your yardstick really crooked, lol? :)
you did a fab job on your painting...gives me confidence to try the big pumpkin painting I want to do for our dining room...I bought the canvas and the paint, but that is far as I've gotten :)
...and the new lamps look great...
Wow! Great project! Maybe putting a stain over it would look nice too. I must say you had some ambition in you to start that project! I just love your new porch lights too. Bravo on everything!
Love your painting Julie! I saw that piece, too, and was astounded. Yours is perfect.
A friend of mine gave me a painted piece and she actually used brown shoe polish on it to give it a prim appearance. Now I'm not suggesting you do that because I don't know a thing about painting but my piece sure looks great!
Love those new porch lights too. I have very similar ones at my front porch. They just have a nice old world look, don't they?
Blessings,
lea
great job on the painting!
Yes, we have bears. THis one has actually been seen in the day time wondering around. The have been known to come into town even. There is alot of development going on around here and that is taking their natural habitat and food away from them.
Happy birthday to you son. He's a handsome fella
Julie, your painting is wonderful!
You did great work.
I really like your light fixtures, too! We've been picking out new ones for our house, too, and those are similar to the ones we've been looking at.
Hope your weekend is a great one-
Blessings,
Pam
I love the new lights!! They will match your place perfectly!!
And I think your "knock-off" art looks better than the $400 any day!!
wow! I am very impressed at your painting! Great job! You're very creative!
I think you did a great job. I sometimes think that things I make don't photograph that well and others just seem to sparkle!
maybe you could try a little antiquing. Maybe darken the edges more. Or maybe a frame...
Happy birthday to your son!
I like his choice of cookie!
By the way, the pumpkins are fake!I just painted them white!
denise
Everything is looking great at your house. What fun your art piece is! You did a great job.
R~Mary
Hi Julie :)
The house is really coming along now! I can't wait for the big reveal, but warn me ahead of time, because I want to be eating popcorn when it happens ;)
I think you did a great job on the painting, but you could draw the little lines on it like the original. I think that's what's missing.
Love the new lights!
Hugs,
rue
Are you pregnant?!?! That could be shockingly funny, I suppose...
Love the new lights!! For the artwork-I think you did a great job, I would not have the patience-however, I would maybe paint a little black between all the colors and maybe little dots at the corners to look like wood more. I also liked your suggestion to antique it a bit.
Oh, we close on our home tomorrow!!
Elise
Hello Sweet Julie!
It is always so fun to come see the progress of your new beautiful home!!! Keep posting! Also, Happy Birthday to your littlest angel!
Hugs,
Maryjane
Post a Comment