Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Little Break from House Painting

Well, the other day....sweet hubby suggested that maybe I was over-doing it by also suggesting that I wasn't as "chipper" as I might normally be....

On Monday, his only day off for the next couple of weeks, I had more than a FULL day planned. There's just so much to do and it's going soooooooooooo slowly. Working fast as we can, but...... I suppose I don't really notice how stressed I am trying to get the big work done -- but he did.On the way out of town, we saw this cute, little, country, roadside stand and made a stop. We don't usually do this, always mean to............ We got an "albino" pumpkin (don't know if that's the name???) and a couple of gourds. They're so neat -- they deserve a better display than this. I hope to give them one..... They had some Cinderella pumpkins and I'm still kicking myself for not getting one. When we arrived in Shreveport, tongues hanging out in anticipation of our favorite Mexican restaurant............it had closed down. EEEiiiiyyyyyy......... So we went to a 2nd favorite that we hadn't been to in years -- El Chico's. It was really good and they had the best time!Then, we headed down to the Louisiana Boardwalk. We went to the Farmer's Almanac store -- a must! Next, we did something that we've NEVER done before.... we went to The Chocolate Crocodile! If you ever run across one, and feel like splurging, run -- don't walk -- right in!Hubby got little chocolate covered caramels (his favorite!) and we got this............A Monster Croc Pecan!!!!! YUM-my!!!! It's a giant Granny Smith covered in soft caramel and pecans with milk chocolate and white chocolate drizzled atop.......... Oh. My. Goodness.... I'm going to HAVE to try to replicate these!!! I took a slice and left the rest for these angels:Look at those sweet (no pun intended) smiles! They even saved some for older sister (who was at work during our excursion.) In the background, is the Long-Allen Bridge -- one of the bridges crossing the Red River, joining Shreveport to Bossier.
See? I wasn't fibbing! ;*) Ahhhh, Huey P. -- another proud time in Louisiana history.......
Just another view. The Texas Street Bridge is in the background, as well as I-20. They light the Texas St. Bridge up, with colored lights, at night -- it's pretty -- nothing to rush down here, to see....but...
The Red River was really low and, we noted, not looking very red!?!?!? Hmmm.....

But look.......yonder....... it's... it's... one of the main reasons that we must come here.....Yes, we see, babies! We're coming. If Mommy would put that camera down and watch where she's going............At last........ hubby and son are wiping tears at this moment!We had a very quick but VERY fun time -- only feeling a little bit guilty knowing that I should have been home, painting......

So I double-timed it the next couple of days. Then, today........ I fell off the wagon, again. I decided to cook a somewhat decent meal and let the children bake (during their lunch break!)Now, little man had a big part in stirring, and all -- but big sister had to pour them into these little pots. He's not looking too happy about that, though. Uh-oh, I think we have a pouter ;*)These are a few. Aren't they cute? They did so well. I mixed up a little lemon glaze and drizzled them on top and they snacked while finishing some work.Well, little man just ate. He's gonna have to work on that multi-tasking thing! The Red Beans and Sausage are almost done. If you'd like to join us............

I should have the rice and the cornbread done about the time you're pulling into the driveway!

Thanks for visiting! Many Blessings, Julie

P.S. Kathleen, I actually do have the books separated into categories! Just another thing that's taking me so long in getting them on the shelves!

14 comments:

Rue said...

Hi Julie :)

First of all... you are doing a great job on the house, so stop worrying!! I know it's hard to take your time, but if you rush through it you won't have the results you want :)

Second... those shelves are to die for and I will be showing those to hubby!

It looks like you had a fun day and I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

hugs,
rue

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie! My name is Julie, too and I live near you!

Jenny said...

What a terrific little trip to take! Your hubby us wonderful for noticing your stress level too! Way cool!

That stinks about your favorite restaraunt! Glad there was a backup though. :)

Your bookshelves look amazing! I can't wait to see htem all filled up. It's unreal how many books we can collect, isn't it?

:)

Mary L. Briggs said...

Looks like you had a fun, fun day out with hubby and family! We don't get those very often, so I always savour the moments when we do!!

That pecan thing looks scrumptious! If you figure out how to make them, I hope you'll share the recipe!

Yum, your supper looks delicious~sorry we couldn't make it:)!

R~Mary

cherry said...

Did you save me a caramel apple? YUM. I love the gourds you picked up and it looks like the whole family had fun out and about. Simple fun...my fave type. My son and I got to do that last weekend. We live out in the boondocks and we went to the nearest big town and walked about at the outdoor mall..talked and joked...got a snack. I love times like that. Yes do make the dough oranments...we used some cookie cutters for some of ours...CAthy is way better a sculptor than we are. rofl, cherry

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Wow! Whata wonderful day you had. You need to take breaks now and then from all of the painting and remodeling! You are doing a wonderful job with everything.
Penny

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Good for you and your book organizing! {: You do the neatest things with your children. They are going to always remember you and your husband for this! It the "good stuff" families are made of! Blessings, Kathleen

Pam said...

What a great day!
And that Monster Croc....ok, now I'm hungry!!
Oh yes, and as for Bass Pro Shops...anytime we get near one, my Husband's eyes begin to glaze over and I know we're in for a 3 hour tour (at least!!).
All of the goodies cooked up at home look really good, too! Wish I could have joined in for lunch!!
Glad you had such a great day together.
Hugs,
Pam

tincanlily said...

I enjoyed my little trip around the south with you. I love Mexican food! I am not sure what a Cinderella Pumpkin is , I will have to google that. I like the white pumpkins mixed with orange.
I wish we had a Chocolate Crocodile near me! Looks like a great place!
I have always wanted to bake some muffins in "flower pots".
Love all the book shelves. Great job!
denise

Paisleyand Polka Dot Patterns said...

I always enjoy your pictures and the way you write! Such a cute family you have

Donna Lynn said...

What a fun filled day, and I am drooling over the chocolate covered apples, wow wee I would love to have one of those!!!

How is your homeschool year going so far? We have just started, and Josh is starting out realllllly slow...he is 11th grade and just wants to give up and take the GED instead, I don't want him too, I like learning right along with him and he is my last! :(

Hope you have a lovely week ahead!
XO,
Donna Lynn

Elise said...

That apple looked so yummy my teeth hurt!! And we love the Fishie Mall as we call Bass Pro.
Elise

Paula said...

Wow- this post made my mouth water!!!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Shucks ... did I miss supper again?
LOL

So glad you took a little break for fun. We've been chopping wood and chopping wood and chopping wood, but we took a day off on Saturday to just enjoy the autumn weather. It was just what we needed to recharge.

Smiles,
Lea

Blog Widget by LinkWithin