Friday, June 27, 2008

Little Cabin in the Big Woods

For 2 years, a co-worker of my husband has been telling him about this place out in the country (and he wasn't kidding -- way, WAY out there!) that was for sale. Well, because of situations, we couldn't even think about it. A few months ago, we finally decided to go take a look. It was love at first sight! Here's a picture of the side (I deleted all the other pictures, except for these few.)

The first time we saw it, it was a beautiful spring day. The leaves were rustling, the birds chirping.....you know, the works! VERY Snow White! There is even a 6 acre stocked pond!!! Lots of land to hunt (for my husband and son!) Too much, almost. 112 acres! Yeah, my thoughts, exactly! NEVER in my wildest imagination. Too much of a dream and alot of worry. But we were told that she (the owner) was willing to work with us. 'Cause, I mean, she was asking A L O T-- more than our budget could allow! So we called her.......and the games began. There were many problems, but nothing that we couldn't have overcome. Except one..... Mrs. S.

Long story short -- we had our final dealing with her last Saturday. We went out to talk to her and take another look around. She agreed to let us buy 40 acres (still more than I could have ever imagined!) and the house and came in around our budget. We walked all around the grounds and in the house, again. Her contempt for her own home was heartbreaking. She has built a big, new home in town and doesn't look back at this place with any love. She told us much, but among it was that she never intended to sell to a family -- that she always imagined selling to a corporation (as write-off for them) or to a rich man (from the city we live in) for his week-end getaway......... then she began to tell of other couples that had looked at it but "never came through with the money." How the men could never talk their wives into moving so far out, etc. Then "threatening" us with what she was and wasn't going to do..... how she was going to have to come out and show me how to flower garden..... about how there were people that she had been allowing to hunt and fish out there for years (and they'd be expecting to continue), about how we were going to have to provide a "right of way" for who-ever bought the land we weren't buying, about how if we had any timber cut, the check would have to be written to HER.......... oh, it just goes on and on.I took this picture as we were driving down the gravel road leaving the dream. Not knowing that it was probably the last time we would drive down it. Having a sinking feeling, but.......

Even with all the chigger bites and ticks........the only thing making me lose sleep was Mrs. S. Everytime my husband talked with her, it was a nightmare. Still, the home, the land, they were a dream. So we told ourselves, "after the papers are signed, we won't have to deal with her anymore." But, the truth was, she was never going to sell us her house -- it WAS all just a dream. It was hard to accept that truth because we had already lived a lifetime in that house and on that land in those few months (in our dreams.) I saw our daughters getting married there (they both said they wanted to.) I saw my husband and son walking into the woods for their bonding time hunting, chopping firewood, fixing fence lines........ our grandbabies looking for hidden Easter eggs.....fish fry's with our family .......... my pumpkin patch and Christmas trees...... chicken house..... our children sitting on the dock fishing......huge vegetable garden.......husband building in his workshop.......canning and freezing..... making soap..... again, it just goes on and on.

So now, we're letting go of that dream. Having to accept that it wasn't part of His plan for us. We're trying to see the reality of what that dream may have cost us. Much more than money. It was already costing us much family time and peace of mind. No house is worth that. We can make a home, with Him -- more importantly, with HIS blessing. Our eyes were just a little (ha, ha!) too big for our plate! So my husband called her back (after a week-end of tears, frustration, confusion, etc.) and thanked her for her time, etc. and she, well, to put it nicely -- she just didn't even care. She's still waiting for that big fish. We do hope she catches one, for even though she doesn't need the money, she wants it and maybe it will bring her peace and happiness. ???

We've put a bid in on the "perfect" house -- with less than 4 acres! They accepted and we're in contract. We're planning to get our home on the market, next week. This is just all so scary. Would y'all please pray for us -- that our home will sell quickly and without incident and that we'll be in our new home soon? I'm sorry to ask you to do that when there are people out there with really big problems. I don't think I've ever asked anyone to pray for me -- I'll try not to make habit of it. I'm just feeling really stressed, right now and besides the 5 of us, y'all are my family. Truly, you know more about me than my blood relatives do (well, mostly.)

Thank you all so much for your support, your ears (and eyes!), and most of all, your prayers! Many Blessings,

Julie

11 comments:

Paula said...

Oh Sweetie, I'm so sorry "your dream" didn't work out, but believe me- God had better things for you and your family!!
Ugh, I'd have slapped Mrs. S....and you would have probably ALWAYS been having to deal with her, even after you signed the papers!
I remember when Hubby and I were first married, we looked and looked for something we could afford, but yet still didn't have to do much work on... we found this beautiful little house that was a little out of our price range, so we hem-hawed around for a week or two; then when we called our agent and said we'd take it, she said someone else had already signed a contract! We were devastated, to say the least. Did you know a couple of years later, that house burned to the ground? (It was empty, but still!) So HE has something better than this for you- you just wait and see!

Chris said...

Julie,

I am also sorry that you didn't get your dream home and property.
I am so proud of your graceful way of dealng with the situation. Mrs. S may or may not get what she's looking for, she has nothing nearly as precious as what you and your family have! I know you will be blessed in your new home, because it is the "right" place for you!

Don't ever not ask for prayer when you need it! It is a priviledge to pray for others. I will enjoy asking the Lord to bring you abundance and happiness in your new home. And He will heal the pain of the loss of the other place... just wait until you walk in the door of your "perfect' house!

Hugs, Chris

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Well, when one door closes...etc.. I know that this house is the right one for you. It will all work out. Just think positive thoughts.

Remember: Thoughts become Things...
Penny

Juri said...

It is my first time visiting your blog and I became quite intrigued with the story about your dream. Of course, I was hoping it had a happy ending, but then I realized it did....no matter where you live, that will become your dream, because you will make it so!

Juri

Rue said...

Hi Julie :)

Now I know what you meant when you said you understood. I'm sorry that dream didn't happen, but I pray that this one will.

Big hugs,
rue

tincanlily said...

Wow, what drama. I hope this all works out the way you want. A new home, how exciting. I am looking forward to see how this is all going to unfold. Wishing you all the best

BittersweetPunkin said...

Aw...Mrs.S wouldn't have liked me for sure...LOL!!You have more patience than I do !

The Lord let you know that house wasn't for you and he used Mrs. S as the unfortunate messenger....sounds like you would've had years of headaches with that one...sounds like she'll have a hard time trying to get anybody to agree to all her ridiculous terms!! The funny thing is any Realtor will tell her that once the paperwork is all signed she has absolutely NO control over anything that happens on the land you purchase....
Everything does happen for a reason!
have a great day!!
Hugs,
Robin

Elise said...

I love your "perfect house"!! It looks like the perfect house for us too. We are house hunting and with our budget it is not fun...Sorry to hear about that Mrs.S. She seems like she would not be happy with anything and good for y'all to not have her hovering over you the rest of your lives.
Can't wait to see how all this unfolds. Not sure how I found your blog by the way, but I like it. And I am so going to rip off your footprint idea. I might do it with scrapbook paper and frame them instead.
Come by and visit my blog sometime.
Elise
nestsweetnest.blogspot.com

Pam said...

Julie, I truly believe that if we lean on the Lord, He will guide us all the way- we might not see it right away--it took years for me to see God's Hand in our lives, but I'm terribly hard-headed!
You will find your "dream house," I'm certain of that.
Take care, Dear Friend-
I hope you have a terrific Fourth!
Hugs,
Pam

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Oh Julie, I am so sorry! I know how you feel! It took 20 years of us living in a ghetto like neighborhood, before I was finally able to convince my sweetie to move from town. He just did not think he would like country living. Then going through finding the right house was even harder. But God heard my plea and when this house became available,the Lord just opened all the doors. My sweetie loves it more and more every day! My prayers are with you. God has something much better in store for you. Have a wonderful weekend, blessings, Kathleen

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry it didn't go through. I AM, however, so excited the perfect house is going thorugh smoothly for you. This must surely be His plan.

I can't wait to see more pictures.

Blessings,
Jenny

Blog Widget by LinkWithin