Franny hadn't been in a while and she found LOTS of goodies - including a dinette from either the 40's or 50's. It has the aluminum trim and legs - VERY neat!
Our big find was this. This big ole farmhouse sink! I'd been looking for one for a while but with no luck. I wasn't sure that I wanted to pay what I understand they're selling for, even if I did. But then, there it was, in the midst of all this other "stuff" - quite hidden - so I asked about it. He sold it to us for only $40! It's an antique cast iron sink!!! Excellent condition, too! We're going to re-finish it or have it done. Probably have someone re-do it for us since we don't really want to mess it up - now we're on a search to find someone who can. But the reason is ... don't get upset with me? Because it needs to be black - yep, black.
When we get around to re-doing the kitchen, nothing will be white. So it won't match. This sink is HUGE. I forget the exact measurements but it's like 3 or 3 1/2 feet long! While I was contemplating whether to buy it (and trying to read hubby's face - to see if he wanted it) I mentioned (to the seller) that I was trying to decide if it were big enough to bathe grandbabies in and he looked at it and then me and said, "Yes! You could bathe twins in here!" He's not kidding either, it's really that big! But until the grandbabies arrive, I guess collards and tomatoes, big pots, LOTS of dishes, and the everyday ordinary will have to suffice. Sigh.....
And look! The lettuce has popped up. The first bit I planted didn't, so I planted 4 more little rows and here's a sneak peek! This is so exciting - I've never planted lettuce before! Hope the frost doesn't get it?
I've been buying seeds, looking ahead - trying to plan. I promised that I wouldn't buy corn again, but hubby tilled me up a larger spot on the hill and I hate giving up. So here, I am probably setting myself up for failure... again. But I have to try. I'm also going to try broccoli and more lettuce, again.
Except for the aphids and a late start... we did get 1 qt. bag of these, last year. If you've never had Purple Hull peas, then you are MISSING out! They're similar to Black-Eyed Peas (yum) but have a fresher, more earthy taste. Try some - you won't regret it!
Green Beans!!!! YUM! I had never eaten a green bean until I was in the hospital after giving birth to our oldest. I was STARVING and ate everything they brought (also my first time to eat broccoli!). Before then, I was so very picky. Now, I eat these all the time. Was not successful with this little crop, last year. Between bunnies and I don't know. So I bought plenty (I hope) of seeds this time.
Yum! Collards!!!
Just started eating Zucchini a few months ago. Love to marinate it in olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper and throw it on the grill!!! Cucumbers! Salt & pepper.... enough said!
Watermelon! Guess what? Just add a little salt & pepper... brings out the sweetness. Yum!
Yeah, I always go a little crazy with the pumpkin seeds. I just love pumpkins - don't eat them though. Just love to look at them. We had lots sprout up last year, but something got them - from underground. Could've been the mole? Again, I've GOT to at least try...
Never grown gourds, but.... And hubby loves sunflowers! These will get planted with the pumpkins, corn and watermelon.
I don't do flowers. It's depressing when they die and I'm doing all I can to try to grow a tomato. But then I started reading about all they attract (bees, hummingbirds, beneficial insects) and caved.
Besides, Baby Girl L-O-V-E-S flowers and she is thrilled! So some of these will go in the garden and others just outside it!
Last one.... but this one is the one that you REALLY need to know about. In this bag is a pound of gold - okay, I'm overstating - but only slightly overstating. I've read that southerners keep these a secret. I believe that because it took me (& I'm from and IN the south!) 2 years of research and trying, patiently, to explain to the nursery what I was looking for, to obtain them. They're butter beans - BUT not ANY old butter beans. These are the quintessential, Southern bean. They're brown, speckled butter beans. They melt in your mouth, but are VERY hearty. You canNOT get enough of them. They're "Jackson Wonder". And once you try them, you. are. hooked. And I think that I'm going to pick up another pound of seed, tomorrow. Just in case...
This is Betty - or Bert? Her/his personality has changed suddenly and has become more aggressive. We separated it from the group for a few days. We've since integrated it back in and it's on close observation. Do y'all know how to tell the difference between a rooster and a hen - while they're still young. It's comb is more pointed than the other little ones and no spur, yet - still not crowing, but it does make a different sound. Help?!?!
But, now here's the cutest thing you may see this week.... Look at Little Man! His Daddy was welding (fixing a hitch) and Little Man was sooooo excited and Daddy taught him how to! Oh! His Daddy is so proud - you should have seen the sparkle in his eyes!
But Mommy? Well, I'm a Mommy and this flat out scares me. But I aimed the camera, turned my head (I didn't have any eye protection), and pushed the shutter button. I must admit, though, that he is adorable! And I'm so happy that my husband takes the time to teach our son how to be a Little Man.
I'm sorry that I talked your ears (or eyes) off. I didn't realize that I had so much to say.
I'll do better next time!
Are y'all planning your gardens? Got any tips for a wannabe successful gardener, like me?
Thanks for visiting!
Many Blessings ~ Julie


















8 comments:
Oh my goodness !
I am as green as your new lettuce with envy! We are still under snow, and had another wet storm yesterday. I drool over seeds and garden books, but I know I must wait. In our area, we need to wait until after mothers day to put out any plants. We can do some early planting around the first part to mid part of April.
I LOVE, LOVE your farmhouse sink! A cousin of mine has a black granite sink and it looks terrific! I imagine that your sink will look terrific also!
Thanks for the pics of your son and the welding. It sure did remind me of all of the welding that my dad did, and us kids watching with goggles on. He was a journeyman welder and owned a foundry with a friend and made bronze sculptures and so that picture really sparked a lot of special memories for me.
I've never grown beans to shell... sounds like it is worth it. Maybe I'll have to give it a try!
Thanks for all your well wishes and kind words!!
Have a great week!
Julie, I can't wait to see your beautiful garden!! I absolutely love pumpkins, they are my weakness. There is something about them that makes me love them so. And you are going to love the lettuce. It is so fresh and tastes soooo much better that store bought. I need to get some in the ground here too. I don't know how to keep those silly chickens out of the garden though. They fly there as soon as I let them out. They love to kick up the dirt and look for worms I guess.
As far as telling the chickens apart... the only way I knew was when they started crowing, hehe. We bought 2 of each and wouldn't you know, 1 of each was a rooster! I loved my conchlin rooster sooo much. We called him the God Father, haha. He walked around really slow and was short and full of feathers. But!! He made soooo much noise for a neighborhood. So he had to go with the others.
Your sink looks great and adorable!!! I would love to have a big ole farm sink like that!!!! You are going with black!! I can't wait to see your kitchen when it is all done. You will be able to bathe your grandbabies in there, hehe. You are so adorable!
Have a beautiful day.
Julie,
What a GREAT find in the farmhouse sink! I would love to have a sink like that! I think you had a great day when you found that for $40!
And how sweet and encouraging to see dads teaching their sons that young and I bet they were both smiling from ear to ear! I love it!
Have a great evening!
Tammy
Love that sink!! Yep, a couple babies will fit in there.
You are going to be one busy person with that garden.
We still have alot of snow around and lots of mud!!
Blessings
Hey sweety, thank you soooo much for the thoughtful thank you gift!! I love it so much. It is absolutely beautiful and so thoughtful. My heart skipped a beat to see your name on that package. I tore it open to see what was inside. I have it sitting on my kitchen table for all of us to enjoy. You are such a beautiful soul. *HUGS*
Oh my....the kitchen sink is wonderful!!You have turned out to be quite the farmer with a very green thumb! So exciting! blessings,Kathleen
Wow, the was a lot to absorb! Glad you found what the sink you were looking for and the price was right! Good luck with all your planting. It will be nice to see your garden as it progresses. Your little guy, is very impressive with his welding skills!
Thanks for sharing.
denise
Well, since I will not be gardening (not even on the deck) this year I will have to watch your progress for my fix!
Post a Comment