Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chickens Can Be Mean!

Who knew that chickens could be so vicious?  We do, now.   This is Annie, and she was attacked by the other girls.  They were pecking her little behind and they kept on and on - merciliously.  She was bleeding and one, Patsy, had the bloodiest beak.  Oh, that bad Patsy - she lives up to her namesake.
Anyway, I called Tractor Supply to see if they had ointment (or anything) for her bo-bo (they don't) and told them what happened and they were so sweet and helpful.  They told me to get her out FAST (we already had) and to hang something red up for them to peck at. That they were probably bored because of the weather and to get sand when it dries out.  She was sooooo sweet and helpful - love Tractor Supply people!  I had done some research, before we got them and had read that if they did do this, to feed them some catfood (for the protein). So hubby and I ran and bought some to feed those little cannibals.  Annie is on her own until she heals. She's the sweetest girl.  In the daytime, we let her have the run from the gate to the house and the mean girls have the rest of the run.
But that's not all that's been going on....  Hubby and son added compost and manure to the hilltop and tilled it in for the watermelons and pumpkins. The pumpkins will be on the right with the mini pumpkins growing up the lattice work. Now it's just waiting for the soil to warm up....
We planted a Red Delicious apple tree near the Granny Smith. 

And moved one of the Dwarf Apple trees nearer the other Dwarf Apple.  Another lesson I learned after the fact!
And we took the brick that was discarded on the property (leftover from building this home, we suppose) and laid a brick pathway throughout the garden.  It's not even perfect.... but then again, that's just right for us!
Just don't pay too much attention to the crookedness, please! 
 I imagine planting grass or alyssum between the spaces of the brick and garden beds.  Alyssum is supposed to be very good for attracting bees to your garden!
The plastic covered bed is filled with strawberry plants....
Please try to imagine the flowers or grass filling in those awkward spaces?
And because I thought we all needed to see something green... Asparagus marinating, waiting for me to grill... 

We're expecting snow tomorrow night into Friday!!!!!!
The children are beyond thrilled and we're so hoping that it will come true for them...
Hope that y'all are enjoying your weather!
Many Blessings ~~ Julie

10 comments:

Kerin said...

Julie,
I love seeing all the pictures of your great place!
I can't wait until I can see dirt again! I'll send you all of my snow :)
My husband has used a trick to get the girls to stop picking on one another. If they start, and blood can be seen and they keep pecking, then he puts a little bit of liquid white-out on the blood spot to hide it from the other girls.
I haven't heard the catfood thing before, I'll have to tell my husband about that.
Good luck with keeping all the girls in line.
Have the best day!

Mandie said...

Julie, I wish so bad that I could send you all of this silly snow. I am so over it and ready for spring!!

Your garden is looking great. I love the path y'all did. I especially love the square foot gardening. My hubby read a book about it and is hooked now.

I feel sorry for your poor chicken. It was a harsh awakening when we would watch our chickens. When we first got them they did great together. But we bought them together. Then we added a chicken. Our first batch were all banties and the added chicken was a regular sized one. Believe it or not the banties picked on the big one. Horribly I might add. I seperated the big one and hubby made her own little coop. Basically a box with a nest in it, tehe. We put the coops right next to each other that way they could get use to seeing eachother but couldn't touch. After the added chicken was full grown we put her in with the small banties. She was still scared!! To this day the smallest banty is the leader over all!! Size doesn't matter, I guess it is all in what they THINK they can do. The next year we added 7 more but integrated them the same way. The new batch seems to pick at the other a little but no blood yet. It was a rough go though when we first put them together. I would get so mad at the new ones cause they were so mean. We have 11 now and they will seperate into their original groups when we let them out. It is pretty funny. And yes, we do keep them in when it is really cold. I am affraid their waddles will freeze if they are out in the wind. But on a sunny day I let them out and they fly and sing out of the coop. It is pretty funny. The smallest leader likes to fly to the top of my head. Hubby saw this for the first time the other day and freaked out. He yelled, "Cover your eyes!". HAHAHA He is so funny!

Well, I have written a book here. Have a GREAT day!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Well, Julie, it is snowing here in West Texas! By the way.....on the chickens. Chicken breeders often grind the hook off of the new hatched chickens beaks. This can only be done when they are newly hatched, I think. It's because on chicken farms, the chickens don't have a lot of running room, they are in confined areas. Do you have a spacious yard for the chickens to run in. My chickens don't peck because they have a large hen house and a large yard. This might help. You might could talk to a vet about the chickens sharp beaks. Good luck, blessings,Kathleen

Patty H. said...

Love your pictures, the brick walk is nice.
I don't have nay chickens, kinda would like to some day.

Jenn said...

I came across your blog from your post at the Farm Chicks. I saw that you like to flea in Louisiana. My mom is from South Louisiana (New Iberia). If you don't mind me asking where are those places you are flea at?

Jenn said...

meant to say...Where you like to flea at....its early.

Paula said...

I love the little brick walkway, Julie! The "crookedness" adds character!!
So sorry about your hens... they can be vicious at times- certain breeds worse than others. When I had several differnt breeds together I used to have to keep their beaks trimmed to stop the pecking. Once they get started it's hard to stop them, so a little beak trim usually gives them an attitude adjustment. (I know it would me!! :) *LOL*)

Michelle said...

I so enjoy seeing all your projects and hearing how things are progressing on the farm. I guess some part of me is envious of your gardening space!

tincanlily said...

You have so much going on that my head is spinning! It all looks great. I love what you are doing with the bricks! Sorry to hear about the chicken incident, very interesting!
Enjoy the snow!
denise

Jenn said...

Julie,

I've never been to northern Louisiana. Sounds like I need to make a trip. I was born and raised in Texas. We go back to New Iberia at least once a year to visit my mom's family and to New Orleans. Thanks for getting back to me. Have a good week!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin