Thursday, October 7, 2010

Greenwood Plantation

We just got back from Baton Rouge.  My too brilliant hubby had a business meeting and on our way home, we decided to stop at a plantation.  This one is Greenwood Plantation.  They filmed North & South there and now camera crews are back and redecorating to film the movie version of "The Big Valley". They weren't filming while we visited, in fact, they aren't even finished with the redecor.  It'll be interesting to see the movie, as I really enjoyed the television series.
I've got a LOT of pictures on here, so I'm not going to say much.... no "waxing poetic" for me.  I'll just break in from time to time for fairly obvious observations (as usual)!
This is part of the drive to the plantation entrance....
Gorgeous!

Finally reaching the gates to the plantation..... and then there was STILL a drive to get to the actual home!
If you'd like to know more about it or how to visit.... Greenwood Plantation








This was the gentlemen's parlor but is now partially decorated for the movie.

This was the ladies parlor - again the production crews have re-wallpapered for the movie, but are not done. This was really a beautiful room (wish I had more pictures!)

The dining room, just off the ladies parlor.  Some of the owners furniture, some movie.  They re-wallpapered here, as well.
Standing at the bottom of the stairs looking up..... dizzying.....













Sitting room adjoined to the master bedroom.  As in, HIS bedroom - the husband and wife didn't share back then. Can you imagine?  I like to snuggle too much... sorry was that too much information?!?




Isn't that tufting beautiful?
Views from the master bedroom...



Her bedroom...
Movie producers leaving yet another mess while redecorating...
Views from the wife's bedroom....

Stairway to the third floor, where the owners had converted the attic into their private living space.
Filming crew storing and moving things around in here.... messy, messy.


Coming out the front door...
Looking to the left after coming out the front door....
Okay, sorry to be a "buzz kill" here, but this home isn't the ACTUAL plantation home. Yeah, I know... kind of disappointing.  After a young couple bought this home back in the early 1900's and refurbished it, loved it, worked the land themselves, and grew older.... lightning struck it and burned it to the ground. The only thing that survived (other than the outbuildings) were the columns - which is pretty significant.  Years later, a gentleman came along and rebuilt the home with the original floor plans... which is what you see, today.  His son, helped him with all and now owns and works diligantly, daily (we're told).  It was a spare of the moment stop and an unconventional "tour" but beautiful and worth is because of this.....  these ARE original.....












This is the bed & breakfast cottage. It sits right across the pond from the home.
When they look out their windows, they see this....

 


The kitchen... detached to save the home from fire  (ironic, isn't it?).

We stopped off in Natchez, MS for a very brief visit to look at the Mississippi River.
You just can't catch it's majestic qualities in a photograph....
The bridge we cross to get back home to Louisiana.
It still takes our breath away.............
And once back in Louisiana, hubby stopped by a cotton field to let me pick some cotton! Just a few balls to frame...  Thanks, Sweetie!  (I know I'm crazy!)
Hope you enjoyed the little tour!  Thanks for visiting!!
We're still working on the re-model (shock!) -- hopefully, I'll be back in a few days with some pictures...
Many, Many Blessings ~~ Julie

4 comments:

Kerin said...

WOW!
I'm so glad that you shared the tour with us!
That entry hall is marvelous! Love it! And, I LOVE the porch ceilings! Looks like they are painted blue.....of course, that's the only color to paint old porch ceilings :)
Your kids have grown like weeds this summer and getting cuter and cuter every day!!
Hope you take a break every now and then during all the work your doing on the house.
Have a great day.

Mandie said...

Beautiful! I couldn't imagine getting to live there and see those trees every day. I love old homes specially plantations. Thank you for sharing with us. Hope you are having a great year.

Paula said...

Oh my! I LOVED North and South! Such a romantic (but sad) movie... *sigh*
I love the weeping willow trees- sooo gorgeous... but that house is unbelievable! (And I agree- I like to snuggle too much for separate rooms too! *giggle*)
Thanks for taking us along for the tour, Miss Julie!

Anonymous said...

The Raggidy Ann dolls in the corner are too creepy!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin