Saturday, October 30, 2010
Living Room Remodel - Part 2 - The Fireplace
Cutting out the sheetrock to add more bracing.
Added the sheetrock back and more to cover the brick - making everything square.
Next, the tar paper? I forget what this is called, but it's a barrier from the sheetrock to what comes next.
He's cut out the opening for the firelogs. See the new shelves? Baby Girl is loading them up...
Now he's adding the wire for the scratch coat for the cement to stick to. He's already bolted the new mantle on. I'll tell you about that in a second.
And he begins the cement scratch coat.....
To tell you the truth, I was so thrilled.... he could've left it like this! It has an industrial look to it - I like!
About the mantle... it is part of a beam from a 19th century warehouse (torn down). It's really beaten up and had lots of chippy paint on it, but when I was lightly brushing it (to add a clear coat of sealer) most of it came off. So I decided to try a coat of stain - hubby loved it so I finished it and sealed it. I wish you could see all the grooves and bumps and cuts and all the things that make it so beautiful!
And now it gets really exciting! The stone begins to go up... this is real stone. Real HEAVY stone. Hubby says never again! It was a tough job - placing the stones is very much like putting a puzzle together. It took quite a few days.
Little Man is dusting them with a wire brush. I'm serious! They won't stick if they're dirty.
Making progress...
Halfway there!
3/4th's of the way!!! Do you love it, yet?
This is the old fireplace cover. It was the shiny brass. Hubby took it out for me and I spray painted it with high heat spray paint (the kind used to paint BBQ pits).
All done! Didn't hubby and babies do a great job?!?!
Before the doors to the cabinets were made.
I'll try to be back in another couple of days to finish up the living room posts. This is the most I've been on the computer in months, so it's kind of weird. Does that make sense?
Many Blessings ~ Julie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






















3 comments:
That is quite a transformation! Your husband is very talented! It looks like your son is very eager to learn! With the weather you are having I do not see you needing to use the fireplace soon. But it must be nice to know it is there when needed.
The fireplace turned out fantastic! I can only imagine how much work that was!! You certainly have a very talented husband! I admire the way that your entire family works together to get projects accomplished!! That's the way that we work too! We all pitch in an get projects done together. With all the old houses that we've had, I can tell you that our children have learned how to do just about every thing. Electrical, plumping etc... :)
I just know that working together builds family relationships :)
As for the elk.... yes it is for eating . I quite like elk, and it reminds me of beef. It doesn't have the gamey taste that venison has.
I think that you would like it.
Hope this week is a great one for you all :)
It all looks fantastic! I love the stones. I am sure it was quite the job but it looks perfect. Everything in that house will mean so much to you and your family. I love that you all get to do it with your own hands.
Post a Comment