And so, here we were, almost finished with the living room. We couldn't put the hole in the wall until we were ready to begin the kitchen remodel (because on the other side of the wall was a wall oven and a couple of cabinets).
So we lived with the tape on the wall (and our dreams of the hole-to-be) for 2 years!As soon as we had dismantled the kitchen, it was time to mark the gas line and the electrical wiring, turn off the electric, and start busting out the wall! Hubby scored the wall, on both sides, for me and I started busting it out. Little Man was staring and said, to me, "Mommy, that looks like so much fun.... *loooooong sigh*..." He was SO cute, so when I got to a safe spot, I handed him the mallet and let him help. He was so happy!
It didn't take long to make the hole, but then hubby had to move the gas line (yep, he's brilliant like that!) and cut those studs, add new framing, run electric above the opening for the new pendant lighting, and wire a light switch. I stained and sealed the surround and.....
Voila! We still have to add bracing to the bottom of the bar - we bought some old, rusty C-clamps from an antique store and hubby & son are going to weld some bracing to them and he'll attach them. I framed the cotton that son & I picked and hung them beside the bar.
This is a close-up of the antler, pendant lighting over the bar (bought at Overstock).
These were also bought at Overstock and sit on the cabinets beside the fireplace.
I really don't like using flash, but sometimes, I just have to. We've got the cabinet doors up, now! We'd like a stained glass look in the opening, but I don't know how to do stained glass and am not quite ready to take up another hobby, right now. So for now, we have some wire up that I painted black. It doesn't look as we'd hoped - but it's gonna have to do until we figure out another option.
Another view.
And another....
Yet another....
Last one!
Sorry that the pictures aren't better. You know me! I keep saying.... "one day, one day, I'm gonna figure it out" and yet, here I am, years later.... excuses, excuses. sigh....
Y'all we're getting colder weather!!!! How about you?
Many Blessings ~ Julie













7 comments:
Once again, I am so impressed with all of your hard work and the vision that you have for your home!
All of your changes and hard work really give your home that lodge look, and your home looks so inviting!
It all looks beautiful!! Great job and so warm and welcoming. I love it.
It is getting chilly here too. We have been getting ready by hauling wood around and getting a little chopping station ready for hubby to start chopping. YAY!
Hi Julie! We are down to 10 chickens now. We lost 1 in the summer heat. She went broody and didn't get enough water and food I am guessing. She was our biggest. I huge beautiful black bird. I was sooo sad. My youngest came in to tell me that one chicken was being lazy and still sleeping. I knew we had a problem when she said that, lol. I went to check on her and she was gone. I couldn't bring myself to get her out. I couldn't even touch her? I don't know what my problem was. I have cleaned their vents out with my finger, why I couldn't pick her up was beyond me. I called hubby to tell him he needed to come home and do this thing, lol. He laughed and said you are going to have to take care of it, I am NOT coming home to get a dead bird out of the coop. I was sooo upset. My youngest heard me on the phone and sighed, then said, I will take care of it. She marched out there and picked that bird up (she was HUGE I tell ya), put her in a bag, and brought her in the house and said, what do you want me to do with her? I was flabergassed sp?. She is such a trooper and I love her so much. A little more now infact, lol.
Hubby put in the cast iron wood burning stove a couple years ago and I love it. We use it as our primary heat source in the winter. I am envious of your gas fireplace though. Just turns on with a flick of a button. Not this darn thing, lol. It takes lots of paper, kindling, and small wood pieces and takes a while to heat up. But I love it all the same. Specially the smell that it emmits. MMMMM So warm and cozy. We are truly blessed aren't we?!
You all have really done a beautiful job with your home. You should all be so proud to have taken a part of it all. I love to read about your family working together. What a blessing!
Just so lovely! I bet you are so glad to have it finished. Not too cold here yet............more like fall at night and early summer in the day. Blessings,Kathleen
That is the best looking hole in the wall I have ever seen! The room looks so warm and inviting! I love the hanging light fixtures! It is a beautiful makeover!
denise
Looks so good!!!! We are redoing our foyer and dining room...I swear there is more dust in the house than anything else right now.
Oh my gosh, Julie- that looks awesome! Ya'll need to start your own DIY show!!
I LOVE the antler lights- those are so cool! And the colors... *sigh*... are just gorgeous!
Post a Comment