Okay, y'all are seriously going to doubt that I'm even from the south -- yet alone, Louisiana -- when I tell you this one........... I don't eat crawfish. I don't. I'm sorry, but I don't. Eeewww - that's all I'm going to say about it.But when we noticed that there were several "homes" in our yard and hubby told the children of his crawfishing "back in the day"...... the children just had to try it. So they pleaded for some left-over bacon (EXCUSE me? Leftover bacon??? Surely you jest!) so that they, too, could do some crawfishing.
Hubby told them if they had any luck, we weren't cooking them. What "we" Kemo Sabe? I told them that I would, but they were going to have to help look for recipes (since I've never cooked them before!)
So we looked through my Cajun cookbooks and found the stories very interesting -- the recipes even sounded edible. Except that they were crawfish. Now if I could substitute shrimp...
Then they were "off" to the front yard with some bacon that mommy saved for them. Y'all that was hard -- to sacrifice that bacon for some crawfish!!!
Several hours later..... not one crawfish! They even tried the next day and have concluded that "crawfishing stinks"!
Good. Because there will be no more sacrificing of the bacon!Many Blessings ~~ Julie
***Edit*** Crawfish build mounds in the mud and live deep in the ground until the water comes back. Since we've been having dry weather (in our area of Louisiana) there are many of these mounds in our yard and, well, pretty much all around us. They eat just about anything, algae, snails, dead fish, even each other, and love the bacon -- we just didn't have any luck, this time. Hubby had lots of luck, in the past - as did many of our schoolmates, who would bring bacon to school to crawfish during recess and lunch breaks! Crawfish boils are a huge deal, here, and fun to attend. Everyone looks forward to them -- even those of us (VERY few) who don't eat them!!!

8 comments:
I thought crawfish came from water...no? I always thought of them as mini lobsters...I dunno...I've never eaten them.
Okay then...I'll eat your portion! I love those yummy little crustaceans! A crawfish boil sounds purty dern good, right now!
Tell the troops that I hope they have better luck next time...
Chris
Oh Julie, what memories this brings back. My grandparents lived way out in the country, like I do now. There were woods to go explore in, cow barns and old "cowboy" shacks to play in and a large creek behind the house. My aunts took my brother and I down for our first crawdead fish. I was so surprised to see this ugly creature come flying out of the water with my tug! We did not eat them, but I was so intriqued (I was quite a tomboy at that age), that I would wander down every visit and catch them and then release them. We are not crawdead eaters, however we have heard they are quite tasty. Enjoyed your post. blessings,Kathleen
Hmmm.... I would DEFINITELY take the bacon over the crawfish anyday! LOL
Add me to that group.....bacon over crawfish!!!!
I love the pictures-
Blessings,
Pam
you get a line, I'll get a pole, we'll go fishin in the crawfish hole...I've never had crawfish, but I'd try it!
We had these in a yard at a house I lived in wehn I was a teen. I think there was an underground spring or something. Anyway, I remember my mom catching one that had come out and it had so many little babies under it's tail!
I dont' think I'd want to eat them either.
I remember when I went to New Orleans and there must have been some Crawfish Festival or something, cause people were out somewhere{very public} eating them. Yuck!!
Elise
Post a Comment