Thursday, November 11, 2010

Our Pantry Remodel

**Warning!** These first pictures are just downright nasty - but they must be seen.... For almost 2 years, this little storage room looked like this (except with more stuff on the floor - this pic was snapped after the flooring was ripped up). Things were just placed in there and hurriedly, we would shut the door.
 But I have vintage dishes that were wrapped in paper and stuffed in boxes and small appliances, vases, gardening supplies, cleaning rags, and things that weren't used often (but still used) and needed proper storage.  The thing is, it is a tiny "room" and because of the electric box and the generator box in there - it made figuring out storage shelving, etc. even trickier!
 So it was a mess, for a while - but we didn't want to just half-way do it and have to come back later to "fix" it.  Still, we made quick decisions - although I had many ideas about what I would like and we talked about what was possible. Then we just "jumped in".
 I wanted this area to have an old general store look to it.  I adore bead board but didn't want to go to the expense - so I got on the internet and ordered the most inexpensive beadboard wallpaper and hubby & son hung it. I think we paid $14 for a large roll and hubby used about 1-1/4 rolls.
 That metal hose thing (covers the wiring to the generator) and posed a problem, too!
 After hubby finished with the hanging, I painted the wallpaper black.  I know dark colors are a no-no for small rooms - but it matched the look I was going for. And really, 4'x6' ain't gonna look big no matter what we did!
 Those boxes are REALLY messing with the aesthetics!
 It took forever for the paint to dry - in fact, months later, there are still some tacky spots! ?????
 So hubby said that I could paint the house electrical box (just not the generator box)! The tile flooring is down, now, too.
 And he let me paint that metal hose, too!  It looks a little better, I think.
And hubby & son began installing the shelving that the girls and I stained and sealed. This time, the girls really, really helped me out and did most of the stain/seal on these shelves! Thanks girls!!!!!


 A shelf above the door (might as well take advantage of every square inch)!!!!
 The light that was in there...
The one hubby hung for me.  It was in the bay window (in the kitchen) - when we took it down to hang a ceiling fan in it's place - I knew I could use it somewhere else.  I was happy to get to use it here - it was originally shiny brass. I just primed it and sprayed it black for an update.






I had just 2 more pictures (of the other side of the pantry) but a message popped up and said that I would have to purchase more room in my picassa album! What?!? I didn't know I had a picassa account!
Has this happened to you? What do you do?  Does this mean I can never post more pictures?
Hmmmmmm.........

Are y'all ready for Thanksgiving?  I've only bought the cornmeal for the dressing and the cranberry sauce. Yikes! I've much to do!!! How 'bout you?!?
Many Blessings ~ Julie

6 comments:

Kerin said...

Julie..I think it turned out terrific! I think that black color on the walls really helped set off the color of the wood shelves. Nice going !

As far as posting pictures goes.. I have heard that you go into your account and purchase $5.00 worth of pictures and it gives you like about 1000 more picture uploads. I haven't done it myself though.
Hope you have a great weekend!! I know you'll be busy... I don't think you know how to sit for a minute :)

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

INSPIRING!! Now to get my husband to look at your pantry makeover pics.

Country Whispers said...

Your lil' pantry looks fabulous.
I've got a little pantry like that but it's worse. It has a set of stairs going up one side so you have to crouch down low to get to the little things that will fit in that area.

Paula said...

Oh Miss Julie, you are so funny!! When you said the first few pictures were nasty, I thought we were going to see some free-ranging house chickens!! *LOL*
I love love love it!! The shelves are gorgeous and they look so pretty against the black!! You have really made good use of your little space!

Sue said...

Hi Juie,I love your new pantry makeover, what would I give to have a pantry that I could actually walk in. A job well done! Thanks for sharing.
Wishing you and your family a blessed Thanksgiving.
Hugs,
Sue

Paisleyand Polka Dot Patterns said...

Wonderful Job! I love it it looks beautiful!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin