Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bed & Bath Remodel Complete and a Birthday!

We're still knee-deep (well maybe just ankle-deep) in remodeling.  Trying to finish the kitchen and then we're taking a break.  It's the last of the BIG stuff - we're just waiting on things we can't control, right now.
I won't bring up our master bath and bedroom, again - after this.  Just wanted to show the completed before's and after's.  I think we completed these in May?  We did everything ourselves except for installing the glass shower doors and the carpet installation.
The masking tape on the counter was to help us visualize where the new shelving/cabinets were going to be.
The walls were a beige color when we moved in and we chose a really beautiful blue (that didn't photograph well, at all)  but hubby really, REALLY wanted to return to the red.
Old sink...
New sink... Love it!
Old fiberglass -slippery and stained - shower.  Leather (okay, more like "pleather"!) shower curtain.
Hubby built tile shower - ahem, did I mention that I cut all the tile (that needed it). Yep, I'm the official tile cutter 'round these parts!  Word to you ladies who might try it for yourselves - watch the height that your husband hooks it up for you... everyday was a wet t-shirt contest.  I won ONLY because I was the only entrant! Good thing, seeing as I have almost no breasts to speak of!!!!  Other than that, it's super fun, but messy!
In the bedroom, all we did was re-paint, replace the pink/mauve carpet, and re-place the ceiling fan.
Hubby lowered the bed - we had it built when we were in our 20's and it was VERY high. The bones are creaking a little more than they used to, so we decided to lower it before we threw a hip out!
See that empty window?  My brother took it out of an old, abandoned home in the woods for me (several years ago).   I love that old, weathered barnwood & I think it was so sweet of him to think of me!
Going for that "western lodge" feel. Never been to one, so I'm hoping we got close?  We discuss that LATER, down-the-road painting the ceiling or putting up wood slats. NOT even something with high priority now, however.
I stripped, sanded and re-stained all the furniture.  This is the armoir with the new red, glass knobs attached!
Dresser after re-finishing and attaching new glass knobs.
LOVE the knobs! Don't they look old? We got them from Hobby Lobby on a half-price sale!
We bought the mirror when we bought the dresser. It was all we could afford - but it always bugged hubby how small the mirror was.  So.....
He built us a new one and we had the glass place cut us a new mirror. This new one probably costs us about $40 - total.  Our older, smaller one costs us more than twice that - 20 YEARS ago! Can you believe how much those things cost?!?!?!
This has got to be probably my favorite thing.... our new ceiling fan!  We got it on a huge sale, at Lowe's. We didn't even spend sticker on this and we LOVE it!!!!
The blades, the shades, the pull.....
The motor cover... look at that detail!!!!  I'm just squealing with delight looking at it! Okay, enough....
Look who turned 21 years old at 1:57 pm on August 25th!  Our oldest daughter, Franny....Franola.....Tif-fanny... (no one gets called by their real names around here!)  Our angel baby!!!
We took her to El Chico's for her birthday dinner, this year.  They look so loving and sweet here....
They're loosening up, though....
Baby girl even told the staff that it was Franny's birthday (so they would come sing and humiliate her). Ah, sweet sisterly love.... makes you tear up, doesn't it?!   Well, they did. And they were REALLY loud! And Franny said that the only thing that made it bearable - amusing, to her, in fact - was how I was trying to crawl under my husband the whole time!  Y'all - I was dying!  But so happy to take one "for the team" and make your day, Birthday Girl!!!!
They even brought her a sopapilla (which she shared with her sister and brother)! Then home to open gifts and eat blueberry cobbler (she wants that in lieu of birthday cake).  Happy Birthday, Sweetie!  We love you!

Many Blessings ~~ Julie

9 comments:

Kerin said...

Well...Happy, Happy Birthday to Franny!! Don't fret.....no one gets called by their real names around here either :)
I am sooo impressed with all of the work that you guys have done! Everything looks fantastic!!! And I have been to plenty of Western Lodges, and I can tell you that you nailed it! It looks terrific!!
Love the way the tile and all the furniture turned out!!
Hope you are having a great week!!

Pam said...

Happy Birthday to your Sweet Girl!
Your home looks great.....love the work you've done.
Blessings,
Pam

Kerin said...

Hi again Julie..
You are too adorable....and I would never give up on you !! We are excited about this opportunity for Washington. We don't know if we will stay there forever though. So, don't be surprised if one day we are neighbors:) We still are looking at some other states to finally retire to...when that day comes :)

Mandie said...

Hi Julie!! Happy Birthday Franny!!! It sounds like y'all had a great time. I absolutely love the bathroom and bedroom remodel. Isn't it amazing what some paint will do. I love the red! That is one of my most favorite colors. Of course you did way more work then just paint. I love the shower!! Beautiful!! I even saw a Christmas tree in your room... I love it! I even noticed that we use the same lotion and hair spray, tehe. I love the western lodge theme!! Reminds me of the mountains. I love the mountains. I am so glad you are back in bloggy world. I missed our chats!!!

Chris said...

First thing:
Happy Birthday Franny! You are a beautiful young woman!

Now...Oh my gosh Julie! What a wonderful transformation! I love every bit of it! You and HHH get a big cyber-hug from me!

Great to hear from you. Love ya lots! Chris

tincanlily said...

I really like what you have been doing! I love the western look, I did that in our bedroom last year. Maybe more of a hint of western, but I really too. So comfortable! You are both very talented and handy people! You must be very proud of the home you (and your husband too, of course) are making for your family!
denise

Michelle said...

I love seeing your before/after photos. We are knee deep in a face lift for our kitchen (and have probably inhaled just a wee bit too much sanding dust) and can't wait to share pictures of before and after!

Paula said...

Happy (belated) Birthday, Miss Franola!!
Julie, will ya'll please hurry up and finish your house so you can come and redo mine? *giggle*
Seriously- the house is gorgeous. I love love love the colors!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Beautiful work! And Happy Birthday Franny! blessings,Kathleen

Blog Widget by LinkWithin