Monday, August 16, 2010

It's Been a Long, Hot, Miserable Summer

.... and I've just felt so "yucky" that I thought I might be contagious.  I didn't want to spread those feelings on to you, my sweet friends.  I truly didn't mean to just walk away from here like I did but I just didn't have the energy to pick up the computer. I walked away from the computer as a whole.  Have you ever felt like this?  It's been so incredibly hot and dry - we went almost 3 full months with no measurable rainfall. And. I. FELT. every. moment. of it!  I need cloudy days and rain like most people need the sun - that probably says something about me...  I often sing (to myself), "I'm just a little black rain cloud; hovering over the honey tree; I'm just a little black rain cloud; pay no attention to little me...."    Then it rained! Glorious rain from our Father!  I felt so much better, but we were in the middle of yet another project.  You have no idea! *winks*
It's going to take me a bit to share what all has been going on here at WinterFall Farm, but I'll try to keep it brief and get to most of it - in time.
Here's some of the lighter moments:
Baby Girl help me peel & slice some peaches so I could put some up in the freezer for cobblers and fried pies!
While I made my first few batches of Strawberry Preserves and one jar of blueberry preserves (we grew the blueberries)!
Little Man and Baby Girl had a shoot out with water guns to try and beat the heat!
Baby Girl and Franny had a little tiff and I made them "hug it out" just like I did when they were little.
You know what? It still worked! 
And a couple of weeks ago, we went to Sonic for 1/2 price drinks and a ride. I am sooooo addicted to Sparkling Strawberry Lemonades - I'm gonna need rehab when they stop selling them. Anyway....  we were riding around the lake and got off into some back roads and my husband started slowing down and stopped. I worried something was wrong and asked what was wrong. He says, "something is chasing us."  Um.... NOT what you want to hear when you're on a desolate road!  I looked in the side rearview mirror and saw something coming.... it was getting closer and closer but I still couldn't make it out but was getting panicky. Then we saw her - this precious puppy that someone had dumped off out in the middle of nowhere.  We discussed what we should do while the children were loving on her giving her their ice and just knew that we couldn't leave her. If for no other reason, the heat indices were in the 130's. So we brought her home....  Yep! We have another dog!
We had already named her before we got out of the woods.  We named her after Gracie Mae after our sweet Emma Grace.
We stopped and bought her a collar (to keep her out of the road and off the highway), some food and water, and some flea and tick shampoo (she was covered in them).
We took her to the vet the other day and he said she's half black/tan coonhound and half rottweiler.  Yes. Rottweiler.  I'm super worried about that part but the vet assured my husband that rottweilers have an unfair bad rap. We just need to love on her a lot and she'll be fine... No problem. She is a sweetie. A destructive sweetie, but....  She loves all of us but hubby and son are her favorites - she's such a flirt! It's so funny!!!    If y'all have any good things to tell about rottweiler's, please share!
Beside those things, our poor garden that really got the short end of the deal, orthodonist visits, a couple of business trips, school planning, and life in general.... this is where we're at right now....
Nope, it ain't pretty!  Hopefully we'll finish soon.....
Next week we start school and our Franny will turn 21!
Hope that your summer hasn't been as hot and dry as ours and that you've handled it better than I.
Many, Many Blessings ~~ Julie

7 comments:

Mandie said...

I am so glad to see you again Julie! I can understand your feelings about the summer. It has been a rough, hot and dry summer here too. Don't feel bad, it happens to us all. The winter was suuuupppper rough on me this year. I couldn't stand how the cold weather hung on for as long as it did. I hope you are having the "cool" down that we are having. It is only in the 90's today with relative humidity. It feels like fall!

It looks like you have had a busy summer. School starts for us on Thursday. I think the kids and I are ready to be back on a schedule and to have a routine again.

I love the doggy, CUTE!! I don't know anything about rottweiler's but I think she will be fine. She will get lots of lovin from everyone and you have other dogs for her to play with.

Our garden suffered horribly too! We will be pulling everything out of it tonight and then rototilling. Putting her to sleep for the winter *wink*.

I pray you have bright days filled with rain clouds!! HUGS

Pam said...

Hi Julie--I totally understand your feelings about the hot and dry weather....we've had alot of the same here! Our "yard" is mostly dirt, for the time being, while we were building, and a friend of ours, a landscaper, recommended waiting until fall to sow grass; so we have hot, dry and completely dusty!!!
Congrats on the darling new pup! She's a sweetie!
Blessings,
Pam

tincanlily said...

I have heard about the hot weather in the south from a few bloggers. I love rainy days too! You have a major project going on in the house! I am looking forward to seeing the after pictures. A new puppy, how exciting! That is so sad that people still do that to dogs. He looks really cute!
denise

Chris said...

Julie, I am so glad to "see" you!

I am so sorry you've had such a rough summer! Hopefully the weather will cooperate from here on.

Gracie Mae is a cutie. I have a girlfriend that has a year old Rotty, and he's a big teddy bear! She can't help but be a sweet girl growing up in your family!

I can tell you've all been busy! Can't wait to see the results.

Again, I am really happy that you are posting agin, I've truly missed you!

Big Hugs! Chris

Kerin said...

Hi Julie!!
Like everyone else...I am so glad to 'see' you again! I am sorry about the miserable summer weather and I hope that the fall brings relief! I felt miserable about last winter too and kept thinking if I saw one more inch of snow... I was going to jump off a cliff. Funny how the weather can effect our moods!1
As far as the puppy goes.... I think she could be a lion and still be sweet and gentle with your family. I'm sure she love you all tons and is so grateful that you rescued her. She will most likely show her gratitude always and forever :)
Wowsers! You guys and your projects! You guys are always busy butts and I can't wait to see how this project turns out. I'm sure it will be fabulous!!
Love the 'hug out'!! Sure makes it hard to stay mad at someone, when they are giving you a big ol' bear hug :)
Hope you have a great day today!!
And once again....I'm so happy your back!!

Donna Lynn said...

Bless your heart for taking that baby dog into your heart and home! I would of done the exact same thing, I am a sucker for animals, thank you from one dog rescuer to another.

Sorry it has been so hot and dry for you, we finally got a bit of rain today, I really loved it!
Take care,
Donna Lynn

Michelle said...

I haven't been by in a while but it looks like you have had a busy summer. Your newest addition is adorable!

Hopefully, fall is just around the corner.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin