Thursday, April 29, 2010

Need a Lifesaver?

Ours walks on water.   That's what a sign out front a little country church said.  I love reading church signs! They're always so clever and true! I always think I'm going to write them down and share them with y'all, but I've always forgotten to - until this time.
Well.... springtime seems busier this year, somehow and I think it couldn't possibly be more so than last.  I guess it's because that one is over and we're trying to maintain through this one. "Maintain" -  my husband uses this word alot and I guess it's going to become a part of my word usage, as well. Because even though we're adding and re-doing, we still have to maintain.  Alot of "PM" as my husband says.  PM = Preventative Maintenance.  Yep, ALOT of that going on!!!  Oh well, keeps ya out of trouble, huh?  Idle hands.....

I finally finished stripping/staining/sealing hubby's nightstand.  Here's the before (excuse the mess, just keepin' it real!) - you can see that he needed a bigger nightstand.
And here's his "new" one.  We bought iron knobs with stars at Hobby Lobby.  We think it has that western look???
The hens have begun laying - well some have.  This is our first egg!!!!!  We're also getting turquoise!
Hubby built this box so that I could attach fabric to it.
This is the "wrong" side of the fabric (which I used)...
because the "right" side just wasn't colorful enough for our red room.  It looked washed out.
I attached the fabric with spray adhesive and finishing nails (and Baby Girl's assistance)!
Then hubby hung it above our bathroom window!
Then hubby built the 2 remaining cabinet doors.
Which I painted/glazed/sealed and hubby hung. Yay! Cabinets are finished!
Then hubby and son took apart cheap Wal-Mart mirror and made this one.  I told them what I wanted, they built and "beat it up" - I stained/sealed - hubby attached to mirror and hung!  It's behind the b-room door but it still reflects alot of light and we love it!
This is the before mirror between our cabinets.  Kind of naked isn't it?
Well, hubby fixed that! He built and distressed - I stained/sealed - he attached to the mirror with liquid nails (love that stuff!).  Doesn't it look so much more complete?
Details... Hubby does beautiful work!
Look at Little Man! He's digging and laying wire for the electric fence to keep Will out of the road. We've tried everything but that pup is just drawn to the highway.  Baby Girl came out to help Little Man finish up. It went much faster with him digging and her laying the wire.
Hubby bought and put together, with some of Franny's assistance, this new log swing.  I stained/sealed it and it sits under this oak tree in the backyard....
between the orchard and the watermelon/pumpkin patch.  We also layed soaker hoses and mulch in the orchard.
Speaking of the watermelon and pumpkin patch.... we got that planted, too!!!
Washing vehicles, collecting eggs, mowing, re-sealing wood projects from last year's builds...Hubby also made homemade ice cream! We haven't done that in ages!
Oh! And Baby girl added fresh stain to the dock and she and Franny sealed it.  Last year, she and I stained it but neglected the sealer ... ugh!  The stain said that it sealed, too, but not well enough for outdoors.  Lesson learned!
Hubby and son planted 2 grapevines! 1 purple and 1 green! Yum!!!
And we had to take the beautiful Hazel (which turned out to be a Henry) back to the man we bought her him from and got this new one.  This is Norma and she seems pretty nice, so far....
Well, I'd better get out there and water the veggie garden. I'm running late, today!
Many Blessings ~ Julie

19 comments:

Mandie said...

You have been a busy girl. Everything looks great! Congrats on the eggs, it is very exciting isn't it?! And to have pretty blue ones at that, lucky girl. I am envious of your orchard and pumpkin/watermelon patch. They look so cute!! We are due for some storms this weekend so I am not going to worry about watering, woohoo. That is my most dreaded chore in the garden. I would rather weed then water, I don't know why, ha.

I really love the bathroom makeover. The mirror, cabinets, and light fixture look fabulous.

Have a great day!!

Kerin said...

Hi there Cutie Pie!
I have to complement you all on jobs well done!! Love how the window valance turned out, and you are right, I like the 'wrong' side of the fabric too.
Love the trim around the mirror. We have done that trick with wood trim and glass bonding liquid nail also. What a difference the details make indeed!!
My sweet husband planted spinach yesterday, and I am hoping that by the weekend the snow will melt and that it will jump start some of the seeds that we have put in the ground.
I'm asking everyone, where a great place to live is. I am DONE shoveling snow. It's beautiful, and to cozy up to a fire is wonderful, but we are going on 8 months of winter. It has been a colder winter than usual.
My husband asked me to ask blogging friends what it is like where they live. We are looking for a small town, temperate climate and friendly folks. Oh... and maybe 2-5 acres. Tell me what you think.
Catch up with you later.

Kerin said...

Hi Julie!
Thanks for the great info.
My sweet husband works for the government, and he is able to retire now. We both have decided that even though we love Utah, we really are very tired of shoveling snow!!! Our children are pretty much grown. Our daughter will finish up her pre-med and our son is in the ROTC. He will finish up his degree in pre-law.
Our youngest, is getting ready to serve a mission.

We would love to live some place that is more affordable, has plenty of fishing and hunting and where we could garden to our hearts content.
We have to do our homework and see where a good place to live is. We have never really traveled much, except for out here in the west.
My husband lived in Hawaii for a bit, and we have lived in Arizona. We are excited to start looking!
I tried and tried to see the site that you told me about, but I couldn't get to it.
I'm sure it is operator error!
Thanks for being so kind and for giving me ideas. I love it!

Mandie said...

Hello Julie! I don't have any secrets to tell for strawberries they are just 6 years old and I think they have done a lot of filling in, in that time. I do brake the runners off after they root and they spread like crazy.

We sure did have some action last night! We were up until 2am with the storms. How did you all fair?

Donna Lynn said...

Hey Julie,
Boy have you guys been busy! WOW, I can't believe all you have been up to around your lovely house, you make me jealous with the chickens too! I love Mary Jane's Farm mag. and the issue on chickens just made me want to have them even more, are they easy?? Got any good tips?

You asked about roses, well my biggest advice is to get the Knock Out Roses, they are breed to be resistant to most things that attack them. Also I spray mine with an organic soap solution every week, if they are having trouble. One of the biggest reasons I love Queen Elizabeth Roses is they are so hardy, try them you will most definitely like them!

Bless you,
Donna Lynn

tincanlily said...

You have so much going on! But the best part is that you finish what you start! I like how the entire family is involved. Love the new mirror, very nice. The window treatment, also a winner! Love the entire bathroom! Looking forward to seeing how your garden grows!
denise

Kerin said...

Hi there!
Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you all and hoping that you are safe and sound and not having the flooding problems!
Also, wanting to wish you a wonderful Mother's Day!! Have a fun day!

Kerin said...

Hi! Just wanted to say 'hi'. Hope you are all well and happy :)
My husband is totally jealous of your pond. In our next house...it's high on the priority list :)
Have a fun day!

Paula said...

Oh Julie- everything looks so gorgeous!! If your home isn't already in Southern Living, I'm giving them a call- it needs to be!
You all are always so busy... it makes my head spin to come here and just read what you've been up to! *LOL*

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Hi Julie! You are always so busy and always show the great rewards of being so! So glad you are getting fresh eggs! blessings,Kathleen

Kerin said...

Hi Julie!
You must be busy as ever, and have a lot on your plate. Just wanted to let you know....we miss you :)

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Wow Julie, everything is looking great at your house! Love everything you've done! Love that log swing!

Have a great evening!
Tammy

Mandie said...

Julie!! How are you? I bet you are busy with gardening and everything else you have going on. Misss you!!!

tincanlily said...

I hope all is well and you are enjoying the first day of summer!
denise

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Everything looks just as wonderful as always! So glad you are getting wonderful eggs from your feathered ladies. Have a great week! blessings,Kathleen

Kerin said...

Hey there Missy Lou!
Hoping your having a great summer....and blog again one of these days. We sure miss you :)

Mandie said...

Hi Julie! Wanted you to know that I am thinking about you. Hope all is well and that you all are having a great summer. Take care!

Mandie

Paula said...

Hey, Miss Julie- I've been too busy to do much blogging this summer, but thought I would pop in and see how you were doing! Hope all is well at your place... try to stay cool!
((HUGS))
Paula

Pam said...

Hi Julie....just wanted to take a moment to stop in and say "hi!" Your home looks terrific...you have been very busy!
I hope that all is well with you and your sweet family.
Blessings,
Pam

Blog Widget by LinkWithin