Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hi. My name is Julie and I'm a...

bad blogger.  Am I supposed to give my excuses or just jump right into the "therapy"?  I think part of a 12-step program is apologizing.  I am sorry, no kidding.  I've been working in the garden and spraying the fruit trees, etc.  Everything but the watermelon, pumpkins, and sunflowers have been planted!!! So far, so good.  Wouldn't it be neat if I actually turned out to be a gardener afterall?!?!
Look at this beautiful apple blossom. I'm not sure if I love the peach or the apple blossoms better?
The pecan tree has awakened!
The peaches are in bloom! I can already taste the peach cobbler...
The blueberry bushes are blooming but they've taken a hit (a big one!) from the deer.  So have the blackberry bushes.
Which is why I fashioned these "ornaments" from Irish Spring bar soap and bread ties. Baby Girl and Little Man helped hang them.  The deer have been pretty good since - fingers crossed!
We took the little ones fishing a couple of times and stopped by our little convenience store to get the bait.  Love this little store - so sweet, so unpretentious, so country...
We had to return Patsy - she was actually a Patrick and hubby said, "No roosters".  We bought 2 more chickens while we were there.  The white one is VERY bossy and not so nice.  She reminds me of Joan Crawford so her name is ... Joan!  The black and white one is "Lillie" and the colorful one is "Hazel".  They came in like gangsters and tried taking over.... they're still adjusting with the others, but our original girls are more docile and friendly.  Kind of....um...strange.  They'll work it out.  They have to.
And we're still working on the bath. We have a functional bath, but it's not complete.  Here's a little update.
Hubby replaced the light fixture!
And he added the shelving he built!  Yay, storage!!!!
Then he tiled the sink area.
And he grouted.
Then I sealed the grout and he dry fit the sink.
Then he installed the sink and faucet!!!
We love our new sink!  We almost re-used our old sink and toilet but there were some issues... so we bought new.  We're so glad that we did!
Did I mention that hubby built the shower floor from concrete?!!!!
The first tiles going in!  Yay! Yay! Yay!
Hubby added a little seat in the back corner.
I cut the tiles, hubby layed/installed them, and the children worked the assembly line (bringing them to me to cut and taking them to their daddy to install)!
Hubby grouted, then I sealed it.
I painted the walls red and hubby installed the new shower head.
As far as the accessories go... have been repurposing everything.  First I spray painted this color. Um, didn't work.  NEXT!
So I handpainted with 2 different turquoise colors.
Then I glazed them and hubby hung them up.  These hold our bath towels by the shower.
The lighting is not the greatest for taking pictures - but it is warm and cozy.  This little "chest" holds Q-tips and cotton balls.  It's the same color as the towel holders and the picture frames but from the pictures, you wouldn't know it, huh?!
Again, we've had these pix for awhile... I repainted and glazed.
Then I took one of the children's school book's and made copies of some maps and replaced the old ones.

We're re-doing the bedroom, too - just not yet. We're going for a western ski lodge/mountain cabin/mission-style look. The walls will be red and we need new carpet.  I'm going to re-stain the furniture and make new pillow shams.  I needed a new nightstand but hubby has been a little tied-up with other projects... so he really wanted me to find one.  Baby Girl and I found this antique dresser and I fell in love.  It was a deal when the lady knocked $50 off!  Sometimes you have to just ask...
A close-up.  It looks so "pioneer-ish" - I just love it!!! The pic frames were on sale from Hobby Lobby.
Now, I'm stripping paint and re-staining this chest for hubby.  He'll use this for his nightstand.  It was his childhood dresser and it's been in his family for many, many years.  We'll I'd better get back to it...
Thank you for stopping by to visit!  I hope that y'all are enjoying the spring!
Many Blessings ~ Julie

3 comments:

Kerin said...

Good Morning Julie!!
You have indeed been very busy!! Where to start....hmm.
Well, I love how the bathroom is turning out!
Did you have to re-enflorce the floor joists to handle the weight of the cement in the bathroom?
I love your colors too!
The blossoms on the fruit trees are gorgeous and give me hope that ours will blossom again some day too.

Love the little gas station!
We live in a small farm town of about 5,000 people and we have a little gas station that is home town feeling too. They will air up your tire, and tune up your tiller and mower. It's great!
I have to agree with your husband on the no-rooster policy :)
They are too noisy! And most of the time, they are super aggressive.
Well, I am so glad to see all your pictures and read about what you've been up to. Hope you have a wonderful day !

Anonymous said...

Wow! The bathroom is looking great! Love it! and I really like the blue color you are using. Great idea to use the maps from the kids books!

Chris said...

Wow! You have been busy! I haven't been around in a while, so this was a fun catch up. The bath looks fabulous. HHH at his best.

The plans for the MBR sound wonderful. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed watching you make this house your home!

Blessings, Chris

Blog Widget by LinkWithin