Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Dock and Other Random Things

Before I get started..... Did I ever tell you about my brilliant husband? The one that Miss Chris has nicknamed "Hunky Handy Hubby" (our children love that, by the way -- we call him that, now, when he finishes projects!) Well, he finished this one a few months ago and I forgot to show you. We beat the boards up, stained them, and he nailed them around the magnetic boards and chalkboard I painted on the wall. Didn't he do a great job?!?!Speaking of hubby, he's sick right now. Someone coughed on him (UGH!) and he's got allergies.

I read that eating locally made honey will help you overcome your allergies. So today, while baby girl and I were at the nursery (to pick up some tomato plants and spray for the fruit trees) I asked if they sold it or knew where I could get it. They didn't, but another customer told me that her husband raises bees (their honey isn't in yet) but that eating 1 teaspoon, daily, absolutely DOES help fight your allergies. It must be locally grown, however. So we were off and saw a roadside stand that sells lots of vegetables and fruits (I LovE the country!) and decided to give it a shot..... He had it! So hubby starts eating honey, tomorrow! Today, he's taking Tylenol Severe Allergy medicine and using a Vick's Vapor Patch.After unloading the medicine and groceries -- I got the fruit tree spray mixed up (with hub's help, of course) and sprayed the apple tree and peach trees. Ick! I got it in my hair, skin, mouth....but, thankfully, the trees got more of it! Hey, look, there's older daughter! She's not an outdoor girl, so this picture is rare!Then baby girl, little man, and I mixed the manure in with the topsoil. They were pleasantly surprised that it didn't stink as much as they were expecting. Can you imagine what they were expecting??? ;*O
We picked up Creole tomatoes, which the nursery said were supposed to be spicier.
We also picked up some cherry tomatoes, in case I make time to can and make my own spaghetti sauce and salsa.... and ketchup...... and bar-be-cue sauce.... I'm such a dreamer!!!
Last Saturday, baby girl and I went to the Symphony League's book sale -- I racked up! Y'all know that I needed more books! Y'all know what hubby said? He said that he can't believe that I bring home other people's "bathroom books"!!!! Eeeeewww, YUCK! Isn't he so bad?!?! Anyway.... after we left the book sale, we stopped by a nursery in town and bought some hydrangea bushes and mint. They only had Spearmint....
and Apple mint. We hope to get some more Chocolate mint, peppermint, and orange mint. We had some, a few years ago, but let it die back.
The deer have nibbled on our fruit trees. Since then, I've carved slices of Irish Spring and Dial and sprinkled around the trees but our lab keeps eating it?!?!? She also eats poo, so ..... About the deer -- I picked this up at the nursery, today. Hope that it works or else Bambi will be stacked up in the deep freeze next to all the fruits and veggies we hope to harvest this year!!!
The mole! UGH, the mole...... it's still here. Miss Chris suggested that we get some dynamite (like in Caddyshack) but I don't know where to get my hands on any. :*) I did read, the other day, that if you roll up sticks of Juicy Fruit (with rubber gloves on to kill your scent) and place them in their holes.... that should do the trick! Now I've got to see if I can find the gloves from my last box of hair color......
Hubby covered up the strawberry bed until it warmed up and .....
when he took it off... Look! 7 of the 10 survived! But after having several days of warm weather (the past 2 were 90 degrees) it's going to drop to 58 on Wednesday and lower as the week-end progresses, so the plastic may have to go back on.
Look at the potato plants! Well, one of them.
After building the dock, hubby started cutting down the pine trees in the backyard. We didn't want to. We love trees but these were pine and in about 20 years (when they're full grown and we won't be able to cut them down ourselves) they're going to be a hazard to our home.So he cut them down, sawed the tiny limbs off (so we can use the trunks for fence posts) and we loaded the trailer down about 900 times.Hubby let me drive his 4-wheeler, each time, to unload the trailer (with baby girl's help)...
to burn them in the pond.... that is doubling as a ...
fire pit (until God fills it up.) It's supposed to start raining Wednesday!!!
Now -- I saved the best for last! Are you still here? I don't believe I've ever done such a long post. If I have, I'm sorry. I'm going to try not to say much, here.... just that it was built in 2 days.
The posts were set on day one.
A LOT of measuring, leveling, post-hole digging (hubby) and cement mixing....
Day 2 started with more measuring, leveling, assembling....










These boards aren't screwed down, yet. The children and I had only laid them there, so hubby is making me really nervous standing there!!!
But, eventually, they WERE all attached safely (he even reinforced under the dock!)


Our babies had a picnic out there Sunday afternoon!

Thanks, again, for visiting!!! I hope that you're all having a beautiful spring!
Many Blessings ~~ Julie

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this post! I need to get Juicy Fruit and honey, ASAP! Allergies around here are a major pain, and I'd really rather not stay inside til June or July. You guys have been SO busy! It's really looking phenomenal! I promise to post more often. It seems facebook is like crack to me. :)

Many hugs to you all, Julie!

P.S. Let me know how the creole tomatoes do. I've never even heard of them, but I know mu husband would love them. I'm trying a garden for the first time this year. Wish me luck!

Jenny said...

I LOVE this post! I need to get Juicy Fruit and honey, ASAP! Allergies around here are a major pain, and I'd really rather not stay inside til June or July. You guys have been SO busy! It's really looking phenomenal! I promise to post more often. It seems facebook is like crack to me. :)

Many hugs to you all, Julie!

P.S. Let me know how the creole tomatoes do. I've never even heard of them, but I know mu husband would love them. I'm trying a garden for the first time this year. Wish me luck!

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Loved the peek at your fun! And the dock--you might say it's a picture of positive thinking--one day it will have water around it.
:)

Cathy

Pam said...

Oh, Julie, I hope that your dear Hubby is feeling better very soon.
Everything looks great at your place....I am so looking forward to doing some (MUCH needed!!) work outdoors! We are having rain mixed with sleet this morning...yuccck!
We are still working toward that orchard....any advice???!
Blessings to you and yours-
Hugs,
Pam

cherry said...

Hi Julie! Your property is just gorgeous. That mess. board your dh made looks like something out of Pottery Barn..beautiful. Homemade honey is good for sooo many things..natural antibiotic. We live in a very rural area and to protect our plants etc from the deer I use BLOOD MEAL....works everytime and sooo much cheaper than the deer repellants they use. Plus it is good for your flowers, trees etc. Talk to ya later, cherry

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

What a busy bunch you all are! Everything is looking just wonderful! The bee honey does work, and if your husband is brave enough....if he lets a couple of bees sting him..... it is also a great rememdy for allergies.(Very old rememdy) Don't do this if he is allergic to bee stings however! Blessings,Kathleen

Paula said...

Hmmmm- Juicy Fruit? I've never heard that one- but I hope it works!
The dock is looking awesome!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Wow Julie..you guys are so busy! I love how your family all works together. It is so NOT Spring here..we have had rain and snow and very low temps....still having to scrape the cars off in the morning. I want to get some plants too but they will for sure have to stay indoors until it gets warmer. I usually have to wait until Mother's Day before I can plant flowers here.

My dog eats poo too...drives me crazy...we have to make sure the yard is cleaned up...so gross! Good luck with your Deer.....but then again....a freezer full of Deer meat would last a while! LOL

Blog Widget by LinkWithin