Sunday, July 19, 2009

Putting Up Peaches

We stopped by Yak's (a family-owned, vegetable/fruit, roadside stand) the other day. They have their own peach orchard and I was craving some fresh, local, ripe peaches. Aren't these beautiful?!? Ours didn't come out as well, but maybe one day.... Then, we stopped by Wal-Mart and bought some Vitamin C tablets. I had been researching how to freeze peaches and every source told me something different. The one thing they all agreed on : You must have absorbic acid. Nearly all suggested using sugar. But again, all had different measurements. Next, I crushed up the tablets in a ziploc bag.
In one bowl, I used 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin C and 1/2 cup sugar -- mixed well. In another bowl, I put the sliced peaches - after washing, peeling, and coring. When the bowl was full, I added the sugar mixture and coated the peaches. Then scooped them in the freezer bags.
I listened to 40's music (it just felt right?!) as I worked. Baby girl and Little man came in, intermittently, and chatted with me. The rest of the time, they were outside helping their daddy. It was time consuming, as I had to do each bag one at a time. Next time, an assembly line will make it go quicker. Although finishing in a hurry wasn't my objective. I wanted to take my time and savor this first-time experience. It was a great day. I put up 7 quarts of peaches!
We got one of them out last night -- I made peach cobbler -- which we snacked on while watching the Ma & Pa Kettle movies!

Many Blessings ~ Julie

7 comments:

Mandie said...

Those peaches look great! There isn't anything like a fresh peach, juices running down your chin, goodness.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Good for you!! Those peaches will be so good this winter! I have never heard of putting vitamin C with them.....very good! I love Ma and Pa Kettle. Have you seen them in the old movie The Egg And I ? Such a wonderful movie...my favorite! Blessings,Kathleen

Paula said...

That sounds like a wonderful evening to me, Julie! I love peaches... and a cobbler sounds deeelish!

Threeblindsheep said...

Mmmmmm. I felt all warm just reading about this! Sheep C

BittersweetPunkin said...

Good for you, I'll have to try that sometime. I love summer and all the wonderful fruits that it brings. I have to keep EVERYTHING in the fridge to fend off the fruit flies.

Happy Belated Birthday to your Hubby!
Hugs,
Robin

Pam said...

There's just nothing better than fresh peaches!
That cobbler sure sounds good, too!
Hope your Husband had a wonderful birthday-
Blessings,
Pam

Betty G said...

Yummy! I love anything with peaches! And Ma and Pa Kettle? There was a mini marathon on tv last weekend. Hubs and I watched 4 different ones! What a delight! ~Luv~Betty G~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin